Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just do good on boards then do good in clinicals. Rest falls in place. Probably will change your mind in specialty choice. Derm is nearly impossible for DOs.

Nothing in first two years matters besides 1. Boards 2. Not failing anything 3. Not getting in trouble.

Nobody cares about the following
Clubs
Leadership stuff
Volunteering
Other resuming padding bs

Reactions: 7 users
Getting a 260/800 will make your app stand out. I can guarantee that...

You really want to stand out as a DO? Publish quality research. We had a student match MD derm from my school and their boards were good, but nothing to fawn over (do as well as you can though, I'm not kidding with the above). The difference was 1. they were exceptionally personable so did great on aways 2. They had some great derm pubs that gave their CV the same look as an MD app.

I personally know one of the DOs that matched Mayo for derm. It can be done, but you have to be absolutely stellar on paper, and be just as great in person. About 5ish DOs match MD derm in any given year. Absolutely have a back up.

Oh and cards is a fellowship after IM. IM+fellowship is a very reasonable back up plan for any DO aiming for a competitive specialty.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To match Derm, you need Step 1 > 245, Step 2 > 250, quality research, great LORs, great skin, and average hotness ranked by your classmates > 8.5/10

As for Anesthesiology or solid IM -> Cards, you will need at least 220 on Step 1, 230 on Step 2, great MD/ACGME PD LORS, and be well liked by everyone on your away rotations.

These are criteria that you would want to have if you want to be a competitive applicant. It can be done with a lower number on one thing that's compensated by a higher number on the other thing.

To match Derm, you need Step 1 > 245, Step 2 > 250, quality research, great LORs, great skin, and average hotness ranked by your classmates > 8.5/10

As for Anesthesiology or solid IM -> Cards, you will need at least 220 on Step 1, 230 on Step 2, great MD/ACGME PD LORS, and be well liked by everyone on your away rotations.

These are criteria that you would want to have if you want to be a competitive applicant. It can be done with a lower number on one thing that's compensated by a higher number on the other thing.

I don’t know many people w ACGME PD letters of rec. def not needed for IM lol even at decent places if u got rest as good package.

Unless your talking about applying for fellowship then us med students can’t really give advice on that

Reactions: 1 user

Why did you delete your quote?

If you are talking about being a competitive candidate for anesthesia then your assessment is fair. A 220 is a good place to be for a competitive candidate that wants options.

thank you for your reply, what about derm? as that is my number one choice however, i am afraid to aim toowards that only to be rejected
m would you say away rotations look better ? as you said if my step is lower, i prob should

Bruh.

Should have gone MD.

Reactions: 4 users
You know, I'm usually not as near sighted as those on SDN about being a DO and applying to competitive fields. But...

With the merger, I think applying Derm as a DO is a death sentence. You would sincerely have to destroy all of medical school. And also take a research year in order to pump out pubs with prominent people. I just don't think its feasible. But, if that is your dream don't let me hold you back. Come back in 4 years and say "told you so." :)
I think this is a given as DO if you want Derm at this point in the game (along with the 250+ etc). I was talking to a 4th year the other day about another student at my school who scored a 260 and said he didn't want to waste it on IM, and had dual applied to Derm. He had no love from the Derm side at all.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this is a given as DO if you want Derm at this point in the game (along with the 250+ etc). I was talking to a 4th year the other day about another student at my school who scored a 260 and said he didn't want to waste it on IM, and had dual applied to Derm. He had no love from the Derm side at all.

Yeah you have to have pubs. You have to make your app look as much like their average MD candidate as possible. Ideally it should be so good that they would never know you were a DO if it weren't on your application lol.

You really want to stand out as a DO? Publish quality research. We had a student match MD derm from my school and their boards were good, but nothing to fawn over (do as well as you can though, I'm not kidding with the above). The difference was 1. they were exceptionally personable so did great on aways 2. They had some great derm pubs that gave their CV the same look as an MD app.

I personally know one of the DOs that matched Mayo for derm. It can be done, but you have to be absolutely stellar on paper, and be just as great in person. About 5ish DOs match MD derm in any given year. Absolutely have a back up.

Oh and cards is a fellowship after IM. IM+fellowship is a very reasonable back up plan for any DO aiming for a competitive specialty.

True about the DO in ACGME derm.

We will all make a good living doing things other than mohs, selling overpriced acne creams, and reflecting more than 95% of the light that hits us off of perfect and mesmerizing skin.

Reactions: 1 users
We will all make a good living doing things other than mohs, selling overpriced acne creams, and reflecting more than 95% of the light that hits us off of perfect and mesmerizing skin.
Heck nah brah, I'm going for that pimple popping life!

Members don't see this ad :)

Jokes on you. My cash only OMM Clinic is going to make more money than your overpriced acne creams :greedy:

Reactions: 8 users
Jokes on you. My cash only OMM Clinic is going to make more money than your overpriced acne creams :greedy:

Was gonna say if we don’t match for some reason I’m looking for partners to move to Colorado or Canada so we can open up a cannibus and omm clinic. And essential oils too since we aren’t going to be following any guidelines or anything.
We can sell creams, Eskimo water, and vitamins too.

Reactions: 7 users
Was gonna say if we don’t match for some reason I’m looking for partners to move to Colorado or Canada so we can open up a cannibus and omm clinic. And essential oils too since we aren’t going to be following any guidelines or anything.
We can sell creams, Eskimo water, and vitamins too.

Add me to your list of potential partners, ill take 250k/yr for no call, 9-4 M-thurs, and close to 0 emergencies. Ill kirksville krunch and texas twist all day for that lifestyle #newRO(mt)ADspecialty

But perhaps my school list was a bit narrow idk
Took the mcat 3 times
All I'm gonna say is if you couldn't score higher than the average MD student on the mcat, be prepared to score lower than the average MD student on the STEP

I tried
3.7 gpa and 505 mcat couldn’t get me anywhere from California and the years were going by got the Do acceptance and snagged it rather than the Caribbean

Well that's your problem.. you had your mind made up by trying to stay in California ANDDD the 3 MCATs definitely screwed you.

Cali and NY are the two major exporters of med students in the US.

Should have applied everywhere.

But what's done is done.

@Scrubs101 @alprazoslam

YOOO How do I get in on this venture with the homies?

I'm just sayin... I know some people who may know some people who are expanding in the business of herbs and greenery.

Y'all need the boy to do 60-70 hours a week for a few years...? I'm down.

Let's run them numbers upppppp!

Hi all, so I am an OMS1 and I want to start getting on top of things from the get go so come residency things can go as planned as possibly can be. My question is What do I need to start and do to make my app stand out or competitive for residency programs? Thus far, I have completed Biochem with a grade of 80, and Anatomy with an 85 out of 100. I am finishing up Endo... my school is on the KCU based curriculum. Anyways, I know my boards are the most important and I am doing my best to prepare for that alongside my classes. I am not 100% sure what specialty I am interested in but Dermatology has always been something that attracted me although I know its extremely competitive. If I were to say my top 3 choices are : 1) derm 2) anesthesia 3) family med + fellow in cardio?
How would you advise me to go about it?
I am just looking for guidance and advice and my school doesnt seem to have those facilities where i can speak with some advisor... would rotating in a hospital i want to match in be smart/ like getting away rotations? please advise

Hey, I think we go to the same school as I too am at a school on the western US that is in KCU curriculum, and just finished endo test about to head into cardio/plum. Anywho, basically repeating what everyone else said above, you gotta literally crush step 1 and Step 2, get great LOR’s and do well on your shelves 3rd year. Then, if you have a good app probably take a gap year and do a year of research tbh.

As for right now, I would worry about crushing boards while “passing” classes. I would reccomend zanki, personally followed with a qbank like usmlerx m1, and Kaplan with uworld m2.

Best of luck to you!

All I'm gonna say is if you couldn't score higher than the average MD student on the mcat, be prepared to score lower than the average MD student on the STEP

Eh not really. The MCAT is not a good predictor of board score.

Reactions: 10 users
@Scrubs101 @alprazoslam

YOOO How do I get in on this venture with the homies?

I'm just sayin... I know some people who may know some people who are expanding in the business of herbs and greenery.

Y'all need the boy to do 60-70 hours a week for a few years...? I'm down.

Let's run them numbers upppppp!
We can put you on the junior partner track on the RPC-COM of TBD University clinic. Will have all the latest quackery available you can handle (alkaline medicine, accuputure, cupping, tide pod challenge, anything you want! )

To add to the personality aspect I know a DO from my school who matched agcme seem. He only had a 240 and 1 pub and no connections to the program. He rotated at the program he matched and he said he got along with everyone and they liked him so much they told him they want him for his program.

Old mcat is weak to moderate on usmle correlation. I don’t think the verdict is in yet on the new. Assuming it will prob have moderate but there are a good amount of people who do average on mcat and do well on step. Probably not so much terrible on mcat <495 and do well on step. We will see when the new studies come out on the new one. Unless somebody has found them I couldn’t.

Also having an insane mcat doesn’t = high usmle otherwise Harvard and Yale and all those other big name rich kid schools would be 260s across the board

Old mcat is weak to moderate on usmle correlation. I don’t think the verdict is in yet on the new. Assuming it will prob have moderate but there are a good amount of people who do average on mcat and do well on step. Probably not so much terrible on mcat <495 and do well on step. We will see when the new studies come out on the new one. Unless somebody has found them I couldn’t.

Also having an insane mcat doesn’t = high usmle otherwise Harvard and Yale and all those other big name rich kid schools would be 260s across the board
Exactly. I don’t see how you can ever claim MCAT scores will reflect board scores unless you control for how long and the circumstances in which every test taker prepared for the exam. Example. My friend studied for 3 months during a heavy semester and got a 501. I crammed studying in 3 weeks over Christmas break and got a 502. Her parents forked over 2k and got her a prep course for the summer, she retakes and gets a 511 and is at a solid MD program. My broke ass couldn’t retake or afford a course so I’m at a DO school lol. We both did well in class but prep is key for these exams and they vary wildly. I’m med school you get dedicated and probably are studying months in advance of that for boards.

At least it’s over that test was not easy to study for. Step was a lot better to study for but sadly we don’t have the pile of non hackers taking step to shimmy our scores to good or average like we did on mcat

Actually I did study quite a lot for the mcat and received md interviews but somehow it didn’t work out anyways I’m still going to be a doctor so don’t think it matters except for pre meds, uber competitive people, haters
Anyhow i do feel my initial question was answered so thanks to all who replied for your input and time to advise
If there is anything else you would like to add it would be great for those browsing
I know derm is seeming like a reach however aren’t the Do residency for derm still going to have bias towards do ?
For anesthesia aside from boards , for research should I be doing it geared towards the field or is anything in research looked highly upon ?

Actually I did study quite a lot for the mcat and received md interviews but somehow it didn’t work out anyways I’m still going to be a doctor so don’t think it matters except for pre meds, uber competitive people, haters
Anyhow i do feel my initial question was answered so thanks to all who replied for your input and time to advise
If there is anything else you would like to add it would be great for those browsing
I know derm is seeming like a reach however aren’t the Do residency for derm still going to have bias towards do ?
For anesthesia aside from boards , for research should I be doing it geared towards the field or is anything in research looked highly upon ?

Nope. We have an AOA Derm program that has recently switched to ACGME. All recent accepted people are MDs.

Most will continue to bias toward DOs but there will be a couple that don't.

Some will and some won't. Even then the DO students you are competing with will be exceptional.

Frankly, my program is biased against jerks. DOs vs MDs don't really matter. I mentioned in another post: as a DO, you will never out published the MDs. Be friendly to everyone, attend all conferences that you can, and make connections. You never know where life will take you. And yes, always have a back up plan.

So have you given up planning on transferring to an MD school?

Case Western takes 2 DOs into their Derm program every year. You don’t need 250s. You do need above average scores tho. You need tons of research and networking. My colleague matched there last cycle.

It seems like you have an odd mix of top choices. I am not sure how those overlap so I think you first need to see more of the specialties and understand what you like about them.

Do you like clinic and procedures? Derm sounds good
Do you like complex physiology and reading ECGs? IM cardio
Do you like OR but not the surgery part? gas

The specialties you listed have little overlap so my guess is you don't have enough experience yet to really know what you like.

I didn't read the posts above but the best advice is always the same: do your best and be involved.

You should aim to get the best grades/board scores you can no matter what field you go into. Why would knowing less ever be a good option? Do research if you are interested. Clubs probably aren't very important unless you really like to be involved in them. Do not sign up cause you think that will help your app.

Derm is very competitive. I believe 50% of residents are AOA so being at the top of your class should be a priority if that is your goal. Being a DO will probably put you at some disadvantage but so what, you should still try if that is your goal.

I think you shouldn't rush to focus on a field just yet. You got 2 more years before you even see what any field is like. Just keep studying for class as best as you can. Then study for boards. Shadow some docs to check out different fields and get to know the faculty (can help with research).