Preparations for biology next fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snsm0111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a sophomore majoring in math.
I'm having trouble with Biology. So, over the summer, I was thinking of fully preparing for the principles of biology course. I have a syllabus and the textbook, and I am really serious about studying it over the summer (I won't procrastinate definitely)

Here is my question. Should I take AP Biology in some prep academy (where they prepare students for AP exams over the summer) or should I study by myself following the syllabus? I do not know how much AP biology focuses on the college level. If anyone took biology in highschool, I would really appreciate your response!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that if you just follow the syllabus and read the corresponding chapters, you should be off to a good start. When you are reading through, make a list of questions you have and then as you read further see if you can answer them. I think if you do that you should be more than prepared for college biology.

Hi, I am a sophomore majoring in math.
I'm having trouble with Biology. So, over the summer, I was thinking of fully preparing for the principles of biology course. I have a syllabus and the textbook, and I am really serious about studying it over the summer (I won't procrastinate definitely)

Here is my question. Should I take AP Biology in some prep academy (where they prepare students for AP exams over the summer) or should I study by myself following the syllabus? I do not know how much AP biology focuses on the college level. If anyone took biology in highschool, I would really appreciate your response!

this one.... when I studied biology, I always relied on self-learning the material. The professors do an "okay" job presenting, but power-points are inefficient way to learn. I relied alot on reading chapters in the book and supplementing them with the powerpoints in class. By the way, i am not just referring to your basic pre-dent biology 1 and 2. I am also talking about the upper division stuff.

Learning how to handle biology solo is a good skill to pick up on, you'll certainly use it when you come across a lazy biology professor who only reads off of powerpoints but expects you to know alot more in-depth concepts.

I am having nightmare flashbacks of genetics right now.