Prepare for another cycle?

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by srpprs, Jan 9, 2018.

1. srpprs

Pre-Medical
    Looking for some advice... trying to decide whether to start actively preparing to reapply for a 3rd cycle. My first cycle I applied had 2 II resulting in a WL and rejection. Currently don’t have an acceptance at this point. Since it’s becoming later in the cycle should I prepare to go through this again? First cycle really cut me down

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Thienyl15

Thienyl15 SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

We need to know more about stats, school list, everything else to give any feedback. Hopefully something works out this cycle - any IIs yet?

4. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    ALL m,ed school applicants should consider themselves rejected until they have that accept in have, and thus plan accordingly for another cycle.

5. srpprs

Pre-Medical
    Sorry, first posting, didn’t even think about that.

cGPA: 3.83 sGPA: 3.84 MCAT: 515
    I have about 3000 hours as an EMT in a major city, 700 hours research in undergrad (no pubs/presentations), and about 350-400 hours clinical volunteering in various hospitals and positions. Couple other non-academic ECs.

Last time I applied I got two very late II, in Jan and March. Was rejected from state school and waitlisted at mid-tier.

This cycle has been a bit better but still am worried about applying again.
    2 II in October (from same 2 schools). Resulted in rejection from one and still have not heard from the other. I have 3 II coming up after this month, but being later in the cycle am worried how these will pan out.

My main concern is in actively looking for a new job/opportunity. Do not want to start something new and have to leave after a month if I end up getting in somewhere, but also want to improve my app in case I need to apply again.

6. Trollest

Medical Student
    I am not understanding these stats and the result. dude, was your list top heavy or what?

7. Faha

Physician

Attending Physician
    Where did you apply and where are your II this cycle ?

8. tekkenman11

Medical Student (Accepted)
    No you have 3 more II and you're on the WL for another. You'll be fine. You'll get in late but I do not expect you to not get at least one acceptance.

sss1219 and Thienyl15 like this.
  9. Thienyl15

Thienyl15 SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

5 IIs is a decent place to be in. It’s really hard to say what that means in the grand scheme of your school list, but overall you’ve got the stats and ECs for an MD program.

I would say go for a new position. Even if you have to quit after a month, your end goal isn’t to be the best new employee...it’s to be a doctor.

10. DetroitDoc1993

Medical Student
    Your stats are pretty darn good. It might be useful to follow up with the school that waitlisted you, even sending them a letter of interest couldn't hurt. You have 3 more interviews so you should definitely look forward to that and prepare well and crush those interviews. Your main priority is med school so do not worry about leaving a place after you get in prepare to find new positions that will help you. If you are worried about reapplying just make sure you edit your essays well and write something a little different. You are by no means in a bad position so stay positive!