Preparing for a Pharmacy Technician interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have no certificate nor prior tech experience, how would they gauge your competence?

What type of questions might they ask you? I have what could be an interview coming up tomorrow and it's been over a year since my last chemistry class. I don't remember much.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have no certificate nor prior tech experience, how would they gauge your competence?

What type of questions might they ask you? I have what could be an interview coming up tomorrow and it's been over a year since my last chemistry class. I don't remember much.

One time I went up to a pharmacy and asked if there was any job openings (I knew ahead of time there was). I gave her my resume and stuff and then she started asking me questions like "what is the generic name of ___?", "what does this drug do?", "what does BID stand for?"
She said she didn't have time to interview and test people since there so busy, so that's why she was testing me when I first came there.

So yeah basically review your pharm tech stuff I have pharmacy experience but I didn't know the answers to any of the questions :().

I met with my pharmacy manager for dinner tonight because she offered to "mock interview" me for my pharmacy school interview this week. Anyway, she brought a list of questions that she asks when she interviews people for technician positions and a lot of them were about giving examples of personal situations and how you responded.

For example: a time I have gone above and beyond to get a job done, what are my areas for growth, how I have been creative in carrying out responsibilities, examples of how teamwork is effective, a time I faced an ethical issue and what the result was, etc.

Not sure how all pharmacies interview but a lot of these questions ask how you handle certain situations and really allow you to "sell yourself", as she told me. (I had a bit of a different situation because I started working at the store in high school and because I was pre-med and there were open pharmacy spots, I was offered a pharmacy position without an interview).

Hope this helps a little, good luck!!