Preparing for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunyD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how to find topics if that has already been posted.

Anyway, I am not entirely too sure how prepared I am for medical school as of right now. I am a public health major and I've taken all the pre reqs. Got a 35 on the MCAT and got into LECOM and am hoping to get into UMDNJ. I don't have much more of a science background than the pre reqs so I feel that I will be at a disadvantage when I first come in. What's the best thing I can do over the summer to prepare?

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on your acceptance. i am not in medical school yet but the general consensus is nothing. don't do a friggin thing to try to prepare. any edge you can gain will be lost within the first week or so.

From what I've read--both in books and on SDN--people are pretty much on the same footing when they go into medical school. The type of information they present and the level of detail is so far beyond anything in undergrad, that no one could be that much better-prepared than anyone else. Try to prepare yourself physically and emotionally over the summer, and you'll be able to come at your studies from a good place in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad BS is not useful for med school. Any effort you could possibly put forth right now would be extremely low-yield. Do not attempt to learn anything right now. It will be force-fed to you when you get there.

If you really want to prepare for med school, hire someone to beat the **** out of you daily.

Don't prepare for medical school. While I'm not at a DO program, I can tell you that studying all summer won't help you a bit.

You'll start soon enough, and they will tell you what to learn, and when to do it.

Try to prepare yourself physically and emotionally over the summer, and you'll be able to come at your studies from a good place in the fall.

This sounds like the best advice. It might also help to examine your study habits and come up with a game plan to hit the ground running.

Hey,

I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how to find topics if that has already been posted.

Anyway, I am not entirely too sure how prepared I am for medical school as of right now. I am a public health major and I've taken all the pre reqs. Got a 35 on the MCAT and got into LECOM and am hoping to get into UMDNJ. I don't have much more of a science background than the pre reqs so I feel that I will be at a disadvantage when I first come in. What's the best thing I can do over the summer to prepare?

What do you guys think?

The best thing you can do is...really relax. Truly have fun. I know it's hard to move past the excitement mixed with a healthy dose of fear, but try to forget about the road ahead and place your attention on having the best time you can in the period before school begins. You will be best served by being refreshed and energized, because it's a long and bumpy road ahead. Nothing you could do academically in the period that you have will make a significant difference at this point. And don't doubt that you ARE already prepared, because you wouldn't have gotten into medical if you weren't. ;-)

It might also help to examine your study habits and come up with a game plan to hit the ground running.

Nah, that won't help that much, trust me. You really probably won't know what it feels like until you get your *** thrown in there. When the time nears, talk to some seniors at your school and get some insider's advice on how to hit the ground running. Medical school is different than probably anything you did in undergrad. It's far better to benefit from the experience of those who have already done it than to struggle on your own trying to reinvent the wheel. You'll adjust when you truly get a feel for what you are up against. You have to for survival, LOL.

Really, get your mind off of your future studies as much as possible. Enjoy the summer. Do really lazy, fun things. Do lots of reading for pleasure vs. for educational value. You'll be treading in the stuff soon enough.

From what I've read--both in books and on SDN--people are pretty much on the same footing when they go into medical school. The type of information they present and the level of detail is so far beyond anything in undergrad, that no one could be that much better-prepared than anyone else. Try to prepare yourself physically and emotionally over the summer, and you'll be able to come at your studies from a good place in the fall.

Getting yourself in good physical shape and establishing good habits, including eating right will certainly help you. It's good to start establishing these routines firmly early on, because when things start getting rough, it's easy to let taking care of yourself slide. It helps when you have a solid routine for taking care of yourself already in place.

The closest thing to preparing I'd entertain doing is maybe reading books like "Better" or "House of God". Once you are in school, you won't even want to look at a book that talks about medicine during your off time. Actually, now that I'm in school, I prefer things as far away from medicine as possible to read usually......if my eyes aren't bleeding from the 8,200 pages I read that day.

And don't forget to exercise your funny bone, while you have time. Having a good sense of humor, particularly having the ability to laugh at yourself, will get you through some tough times.

Nah, that won't help that much, trust me. You really probably won't know what it feels like until you get your *** thrown in there. When the time nears, talk to some seniors at your school and get some insider's advice on how to hit the ground running. Medical school is different than probably anything you did in undergrad. It's far better to benefit from the experience of those who have already done it than to struggle on your own trying to reinvent the wheel. You'll adjust when you truly get a feel for what you are up against. You have to for survival, LOL.

Really, get your mind off of your future studies as much as possible. Enjoy the summer. Do really lazy, fun things. Do lots of reading for pleasure vs. for educational value. You'll be treading in the stuff soon enough.

I picked up a couple books on how to study in med school. It seems like they offer some good advice, things most students probably won't be doing (e.g. buying an old copy of First Aid before school starts). We'll see if it helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
The whole point of Basic Sciences, especially first yea med, is to bring everyone up to the same level. Thats why a specific degree isnt required for Med School.

I heard preparing is useless but "preparation" would have been taking things like Anatomy, Microbio, Physiology, Genetics, and Biochem in undergrad

Good luck

I picked up a couple books on how to study in med school. It seems like they offer some good advice, things most students probably won't be doing (e.g. buying an old copy of First Aid before school starts). We'll see if it helps.

It's a nice idea, and heck it may even help, but the little bit you may glean from FA during the summer before medical school may not be worth the effort and time--time probably better spent relaxing. Buying FA now is okay, just don't open FA until school starts. Trust me, a few months off now seems like some sort of fantasy. ****, I'm happy just to have a day off (and when I do, it's usually spent catching up on stuff I put on the back burner months ago).

In my opinion, you'd already be ahead of the game if you can even comprehend the gibberish in FA at your level (in which case you should most definitely relax). It's not written as a narrative, but kind of resembles someone's notes with lots of mnemonics, tables, and graphics. You have to know the background for it to be truly useful. The real value of FA at your level is to use it as an outline for what is emphasized on the boards when you actually start medical school and attending classes, not before it. It's a board REVIEW book, which implies you should already be familiar with the material before reading it, otherwise it will appear to be a lot of key words without necessary context. HOWEVER, that being said, I do think it is a great idea to have FA on hand and to use it once school starts and you begin to get the hang of things. It's definitely a valuable resource and it probably would have benefited me if I had used it earlier on. Another great resource is Goljan. I sure wish I had looked at his stuff earlier than months before boards. Again, not to use before medical school starts, but during.

But, anyway, if you insist on trying to learn something before medical school, try to do it lightly and have a good time, if you can. Seriously, though, if I were in your shoes again, I'd do as much non-medical reading as I could. I still can't manage to find the time to do ANY reading for pleasure. Enjoy the free time, because you will see real soon that it's a rarer commodity once school starts.

I've been on this forum for a while, long enough to see the cyclical nature of the process. If you end up studying this summer, you'll probably just end up regretting the loss of a perfectly good period of time off and be back in half a year telling premeds to enjoy the summer. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
It's a nice idea, and heck it may even help, but the little bit you may glean from FA during the summer before medical school may not be worth the effort and time

Oh, I didn't mean studying it. I meant using USMLE review books as you go through your classes, making notes, testing yourself over the material as you go along, etc. That way you can spend more time in your 2nd year reviewing for boards instead of making new board specific note cards and annotating review books. I don't know how much of a difference this makes, but it seems to make sense, and I've seen several people recommending it.

Best thing you can possibly do for yourself. Quit your job 3 months or more before you start. Take an amazing vacation to recharge your batteries and mentally drain. Move to your new home a few weeks early to get your daily routine all set before you start i.e. time it takes to class, coffeeshops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. That is everything you can do to prepare in its entirety.
/thread

Oh, I didn't mean studying it. I meant using USMLE review books as you go through your classes, making notes, testing yourself over the material as you go along, etc. That way you can spend more time in your 2nd year reviewing for boards instead of making new board specific note cards and annotating review books. I don't know how much of a difference this makes, but it seems to make sense, and I've seen several people recommending it.
I recommend against this, and here is why: your board review books will be a cluster **** when it comes time to actually start your board review, and you will then be foreced to get new ones.

I started from scratch when I started my board prep. I didn't want any nonsense from class in there, cluttering everything up.

I have a FA that I use but it isn't something I study from yet. I just peep into it and make sure the class covered what is in there to some degree. If there is heavy emphasis in first aid with particular details, then I try to spend a little bit longer on those. It is only so I can relearn it slightly faster later on though...I know I will forget it.

If you really want to prepare for med school, hire someone to beat the **** out of you daily.
:laugh:
And don't forget to exercise your funny bone, while you have time. Having a good sense of humor, particularly having the ability to laugh at yourself, will get you through some tough times.
Yes, please do. While at a professional school, the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes is laughing at ridiculous/immature things with my friends I made here.

Take a really, REALLY good vacation. Other than that-sleep a lot. :)

- Enjoy your time with friends and family. Do something you've always wanted to do but never had the time to. Read the books mentioned above. Relax.

Yeahhh, the only thing I'm doing to prepare is, um, a whole lot of nothing. Sleeping, watching bad daytime TV, partying, planning a vacation. Pretty much doing all the things I won't be able to do come anymore, come August. Haha :D

Enjoy it while it lasts, people!!!

Hey,

What do you guys think?

I was a psych major in undergrad and went back to school for a post bacc to take my pre reqs, so I had nothing over the requirements.

I'm doing just fine in med school and had a lower MCAT than you.

I would highly recommend doing nothing over the summer except relaxing and having fun. Honestly nothing can really prepare you for it so enjoy freedom while you can! :)

I bought FA before medical school, and it was a waste of time. Even with a MS in Cell and Molecular biology, I was "familiar" with a small percentage of the material. That book, and the rest of the BRS books, are meant to be a review. They do not explain anything very well, and thus are useless until you have the background to understand the material.

Just enjoy your free time.

Pretty much anything intended for review is banking on you being heavily exposed to it beforehand. It is amazing how confusing those books are before you start the class compared to how nice they seem when you're near the end.....because you spent so much damn time with the material, you are able to fill in the blanks and see the logical progression with the summaries and diagrams.

Thanks for the advice to all those who posted.

I was just nervous because one of my interviews said that I might have trouble initially because of my major. But I couldn't be happier to see that there is absolutely nothing I can do to prepare myself academically.

I'm already planning several trips so it should be a good summer. I like the idea of building good habits too. And no...I am not that desperate to prepare where I would let someone beat the **** of me lol.