Preparing for next cycle in case...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxabi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.! So I applied for the first time this cycle, however even though it is *only* October, I am not confident in my chances (3 rejections, nothing else) so I am planning ahead of time to ensure that next cycle (if necessary) goes smoothly and successfully!

I applied this cycle with a 29 MCAT and a 3.4ugpa and 3.7SMP GPA, so fairly low chances. I'd like to retake my MCAT if I end up applying next year with the aim of doing significantly better. Since MCAT registration opens up tomorrow (and I live in California where seats disappear out of thin air) I just wanted everyone's opinion on when would be a good time to take the MCAT if I am planning on applying again but also hoping to wait till as late as possible in hopes of interviews/acceptances!

For reference, this cycle due to transcript issues and summer classes, I wasn't verified until mid-Aug and completed at most schools early Sept - early Oct. If I apply again next year, I plan to submit my application the very first day possible since I will not have transcript issues again. However, I can't decide whether it is best for me to take the MCAT in early/mid/late May or whether the end of April or early June is better? I know the dates are relatively close, but I want to be extra cautious and plan well this second time around to avoid being complete late like this cycle.

Yes, I know it is only October, but I just want to plan ahead since next year would be my 3rd gap year. Thank you ahead of time for your feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

Retake the MCAT when you are 100% ready for it.

Springtime would be fine. You would want to have your numbers ready for a 6/1/16 app submission.

You're smart to be proactive!

Since MCAT registration opens up tomorrow (and I live in California where seats disappear out of thin air) I just wanted everyone's opinion on when would be a good time to take the MCAT if I am planning on applying again but also hoping to wait till as late as possible in hopes of interviews/acceptances!

For reference, this cycle due to transcript issues and summer classes, I wasn't verified until mid-Aug and completed at most schools early Sept - early Oct. If I apply again next year, I plan to submit my application the very first day possible since I will not have transcript issues again. However, I can't decide whether it is best for me to take the MCAT in early/mid/late May or whether the end of April or early June is better? I know the dates are relatively close, but I want to be extra cautious and plan well this second time around to avoid being complete late like this cycle.

Yes, I know it is only October, but I just want to plan ahead since next year would be my 3rd gap year. Thank you ahead of time for your feedback :)

Retake the MCAT when you are 100% ready for it.

Springtime would be fine. You would want to have your numbers ready for a 6/1/16 app submission.

You're smart to be proactive!

Thanks for responding! If I want my application ready for verification as early as possible, do you think taking it May 14th vs. May 6th would make a ton of difference if I'm planning to submit my primary app the very first day of the cycle? (June 1st, 3rd, whatever it may be)

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously the earlier May exam will get you your results earlier. But only take the MCAT when you're ready!

Thanks for responding! If I want my application ready for verification as early as possible, do you think taking it May 14th vs. May 6th would make a ton of difference if I'm planning to submit my primary app the very first day of the cycle? (June 1st, 3rd, whatever it may be)

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously the earlier May exam will get you your results earlier. But only take the MCAT when you're ready!

Thanks so much @Goro! One more question - while my cGPA is a 3.42, I have a 2.84 sGPA. I mentioned that my SMP gpa was a 3.7. However, will this be enough to offset my atrociously low undergraduate sGPA for next cycle, or should I attempt to take more postbac science courses to attempt to bring that up? I took two additional courses this past summer which slightly helped. I'm just worried that even with a higher MCAT, I won't stand much of a chance with a sub 3.0 sGPA.

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes

Thanks so much @Goro! One more question - while my cGPA is a 3.42, I have a 2.84 sGPA. I mentioned that my SMP gpa was a 3.7. However, will this be enough to offset my atrociously low undergraduate sGPA for next cycle, or should I attempt to take more postbac science courses to attempt to bring that up? I took two additional courses this past summer which slightly helped. I'm just worried that even with a higher MCAT, I won't stand much of a chance with a sub 3.0 sGPA.

I would recommend taking more science courses to bring up that sGPA. However, I have found the people on SDN tend to be particularly neurotic (not saying anyone on this post is) but your best bet to getting solid advice is by calling one of the adcoms from one of the schools you were rejected at to see if they'll let you know what your biggest hindrance was. Or call the school you feel you have the best chance at and ask what they recommend you improve on.

I'm in the same boat. Got a 509 with a 3.5 GPA (significant upward trend though). I was thinking of taking the MCAT again in january, not sure if I should wait until spring though.

I'm in the same boat. Got a 509 with a 3.5 GPA (significant upward trend though). I was thinking of taking the MCAT again in january, not sure if I should wait until spring though.

That's what, 80th percentile? I don't think it's your MCAT that would limit your chances. I know plenty ~66LizzyM's with interviews. I would try to up my GPA instead (just my 2 cents though).

thinking of taking the MCAT again in january, not sure if I should wait until spring though
2fQcHv

thinking of taking the MCAT again in january, not sure if I should wait until spring though
2fQcHv

Only take it when you have consistently been getting practice test scores(note the AAMC test material specifically) that are above your target score. Your target score should be to improve by at least 3 points(514+).