Preparing for OAT Need help!

jhpark0504

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I have few questions about how to prepare for the OAT exam. I will be taking my OAT on early December or late November, and I started watching Chad's video and now I'm done with O-Chem, G-Chem and Physic sections. My plan was to re-do chad's quizzes over and over until I actually understand the whole concept.

NOW here is my problems....

I did my first Kaplan practice OAT exam today and I was struggling with many many problems. The questions from Kaplan were very different comparing it to Chad's quizzes. Organic chemistry section was different, more specific and more difficult reaction problems. (I still haven't memorized the whole mechanism for every reaction yet...) So I end up getting low scores on every sections except G-Chem. (Physic section was also nightmare..)

My goal is to get 320 + and above and was wondering how did you guys prepare for OAT?? I just got OAT destroyer this also giving me a trouble as well... I can do well on sample questions from"OAT questions of the day" but never on OAT destroyer or Kaplan.. very depress :(

Well.. thank you for reading my post and looking forward to get some helpful tips from you guys !

Members don't see this ad.

Hey are you taking the Kaplan course? Or did you just do the free Kaplan exam? I took the Kaplan course as well as watched chads videos. I received a 320AA so if you wanted to get higher you can do more than what I did. Taking the Kaplan course I saw what subjects we were going over and I would just watch the corresponding Chads videos on that subject. Taking the Kaplan exams I also got very worried because I did not do well on them. I believe the first Kaplan exam I received a 250AA and my fifth and final practice exam I got a 290AA so I was extremely worried. The Kaplan questions are a lot different than the questions chad offers. I didn't even bother with OAT Destroyer because it just made me discouraged. The real OAT questions are closer to kaplans but easier. My advice would be to learn from Chad rewatch the videos if need be like you said and just do as many practice problems as you can. Chads Ochem is great I just used his videos and got a 360. Chads physics is way too many calculations. GChem is pretty much on the money besides it's too many calculations. Take as many practice exams as well because it really does help with timing. I took five practice exams (all from Kaplan) and during the actual OAT I wasn't fatigued at all and the 5 hrs or whatever it is didn't seem bad at all. If you watch chads videos and do as much practice as you can you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Just took the OAT. Kaplan is ridiculously difficult compared to the OAT. Don't use it as a basis for testing yourself. Though I do recommend doing the readings in Kaplan.

OAT destroyer was closer to the OAT, but again very slightly more difficult. I used Chads for the sciences, the destroyer for math and I did well. Don't let Kaplan scores stress you out.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys soooo much for great advice and replay :) :) :). Yes I also bought Kaplan book as well but haven't used it yet. I probably will finish watching Chad video on QR, then maybe biology. So I decided to do chad videos (quizzes) -> Kaplan Book -> OAT destroyer and hopefully this can help me out ! Thank you guys again for the tips and if any others have different methods or tips for Organic Chemistry section, let me know!

Thanks