Preparing for re-app; advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stitchontheambo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster here. Here's where I am right now.

Stats 3.68 GPA/3.40 sGPA/514. Did my pre-med classes as an undergraduate. I'm now 5 years removed from that. Currently enrolled in biochemistry and genetics to satisfy prereqs at some of the schools I applied to - anticipate A in both. Over 1000 volunteer hours and the world's supply of clinical experience. Applied to 26 schools and stayed away from top tier completely. Focused on mid/low mid-tier, low tier, and in state. Primary complete late June, secondaries all done within a week to a week and a half of receipt.

While I know that I'm still in this thing this cycle (waitlisted at a program I'd be thrilled to attend and recognize how incredibly fortunate I am even to be in that position), I also know the odds. So I'm beginning to plan out a strategy for my next attempt since I need to start registering for things now to get that ball rolling.

Here are what I see as my weaknesses.
-Minimal research experience. The one reject that's given me feedback so far said this was the reason.
-LORs could be stronger.
-Barely competitive sGPA.
-Have a good story to tell but feel like I didn't articulate it well in my personal statement and interview.
-Did not apply DO.
-Did not apply day 1.

Here is how I plan to address these.
-There's a research assistant program at a major hospital nearby. Enroll in that for at least an academic year.
-Above program offers LORs from the investigators as a benefit of working there.
-Take 1-2 upper level science courses per semester, including summers if possible, through next attempt.
-Mock interview with and have personal statement edited by more critical/unknown quantities.
-Include DO programs.
-Apply day 1.

That's the most I think I can realistically do between now and when I'd like to make my next try, about two years down the road. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but doing the math it's going to be 60-65 hours per week of work, school, and the volunteering I'm doing now (which I really enjoy and don't want to give up) plus the usual app stuff on top of that when the time comes.

Does this strike everyone as a reasonable strategy, bearing in mind that I have no aspirations to go to a Hopkins or a Mayo? Or should I start investigating my local master's programs? I'm still young, so it's an option too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You can still apply to DO for this year, its late but no late for DO. Your stats are good for DO but pretty avg for MD especially your sgpa.
Shadow a DO and get LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
@stitchontheambo
If you really wanted, you could still apply DO as of right now but it's getting close to the Thanksgiving 'late' time period. However, your stats are great for DO schools. As for MD, you could consider raising your sGPA a tad, but you should have a shot at your state MD schools!

If you end up having to apply again next cycle, please please be an early applicant. It breaks my heart to see students who didn't apply early, but everyone has their own circumstances. Also, do not worry about the research experience a ton because that is just a cherry-on-top type of thing, and not always necessary. Keep us posted, and I hope you get accepted this cycle!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend applying early as possible. I was a reapplicant and recommend applying early as possible in a application cycle as it made a big difference for me

If you apply DO this cycle, make sure you meet their LOR requirements. Some want you to have a LOR from a DO. With that in mind, in your potential year off, try and find a DO in the community to shadow. Pursuing some research experience in another year off is a great idea. Make sure you get a project you are interested in if possible.

Some things to think about:

Why do you say your LOR are mediocre? Did you ask for strong letters? You have had a lot of years off, none of them are very strong? Try to form relationships with the professors you are currently taking courses with and get really strong LOR from them.

The personal statement needs to tell your story clearly. Why do you not think it was strong? Did you give it to the PS readers on SDN? Did you have physicians review them? Pre med advisor?

If you can't articulate your story concisely in an interview, you're going to struggle. Are you a poor interviewer overall? Why do you struggle articulating your story and motivation to pursue medicine?

What have been doing with all the time between undergrad and now?

Thanks to everyone who replied for the good advice. I'm definitely taking it to heart and asking myself these questions as I plan! Decided not to apply DO this cycle but definitely going to next time around. There are a few osteopaths I know who I can shadow and get letters from.

Got another II in the meantime so we'll see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, your stats are not mediocre for MD. You are above average for MCAT and right there for GPA. Have faith and patience.

In the mean time, get more volunteer/clinical exp, shadow doctors longer, and consider DO for next year.

No need to take the MCAT again.

Check your LORs. When you ask, ask if they can write you a strong letter of support, not just a letter.

Check your essays, have other people read them. Have MDs/DOs ready them, if you can swing it.

Continue down this path. I know you will be successful at some point in the near future. This cycle is not over yet.

Work on interviewing in the mean time.

Best of luck.