Jan 9, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Long time lurker - first post, finally made an account.

I’m applying this cycle and have received 4 interviews but so far no acceptances. I want to be prepared in case of a reapplication and was wondering what I should focus on improving the most.

Summary of application:
Degree in biomedical engineering from top program, graduated last year.

Currently working at drug start up as a research associate.

White
cGPA: 3:53
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 509 (practice tests were ~514, think I could improve here)
(4.0 gpa three of last four semesters)

Research: 2300 hours, 1 publication, 1 poster presentation

Clinical: 500 hours paid assistant at internal medicine office

Volunteering: 250 hours across 2-3 different things, nothing super in depth or long term

EC: D1 student athlete. 1000+ hours. Started a youth training program for my sport at my school and led it for all of college, trained underprivileged kids for free

TA for engineering class 1 semester

Patent pending on medical device

I applied to 20 schools -13 MD/PhD, 7 MD

I’ve had 1 MD/PhD interview and 3 MD interviews. Waitlisted at MD/PhD school, haven’t heard back from others.

To make the best use of the next few months in case I need to reapply - what should I focus on? Should I retake the MCAT? More volunteering?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
When you say you haven't heard back... I truly think you will be accepted based on all of this. That probably isn't helpful, but when will you hear from the others?

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Long time lurker - first post, finally made an account.

I’m applying this cycle and have received 4 interviews but so far no acceptances. I want to be prepared in case of a reapplication and was wondering what I should focus on improving the most.

Summary of application:
Degree in biomedical engineering from top program, graduated last year.

Currently working at drug start up as a research associate.

White
cGPA: 3:53
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 509 (practice tests were ~514, think I could improve here)
(4.0 gpa three of last four semesters)

Research: 2300 hours, 1 publication, 1 poster presentation

Clinical: 500 hours paid assistant at internal medicine office

Volunteering: 250 hours across 2-3 different things, nothing super in depth or long term

EC: D1 student athlete. 1000+ hours. Started a youth training program for my sport at my school and led it for all of college, trained underprivileged kids for free

TA for engineering class 1 semester

Patent pending on medical device

I applied to 20 schools -13 MD/PhD, 7 MD

I’ve had 1 MD/PhD interview and 3 MD interviews. Waitlisted at MD/PhD school, haven’t heard back from others.

To make the best use of the next few months in case I need to reapply - what should I focus on? Should I retake the MCAT? More volunteering?

Thanks in advance.
Suggest working on interview skills.

About the Ads

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
If you weren't accepted based on this, I would say to either reevaluate your school list (unlikely since you have interviews) or to work on your interview skills.

It's good to prep for a reapp, but not a lot of schools have sent out acceptances yet so I wouldn't worry - with 4 interviews you're in good shape.

OP
C
Jan 9, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for your responses. My interviews were September - December. I know people from my interview days who have been accepted already which is why I’m getting nervous. I know that 4 interviews is a pretty good chance for an A but I don’t think I’ll know for sure until March and if I don’t get that A at that point it will be too late to improve my app. I know the wisdom of preparing to reapply till you have an A. So I’m just wondering what I could do between now and when I know for sure so I don’t waste time in case none of the 4 accept me.

Feb 20, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Wouldn't be at all surprised if you end up accepted at the end of the cycle! With that being said, you might consider retaking the MCAT, given the time remaining before the next cycle (as well as your practice scores). Your upward GPA trend is solid, and the rest of your EC's are excellent.

If you're open to the idea, applying to a broader spread of MD-only programs should do wonders for increasing your overall interview count next cycle. But as @Goro said, practicing interviews can help too.

Reactions: Goro
About the Ads