Preparing for reapp - 4 interviews, no acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catkitten2

Reaction score
Long time lurker - first post, finally made an account.

I’m applying this cycle and have received 4 interviews but so far no acceptances. I want to be prepared in case of a reapplication and was wondering what I should focus on improving the most.

Summary of application:
Degree in biomedical engineering from top program, graduated last year.

Currently working at drug start up as a research associate.

White
cGPA: 3:53
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 509 (practice tests were ~514, think I could improve here)
(4.0 gpa three of last four semesters)

Research: 2300 hours, 1 publication, 1 poster presentation

Clinical: 500 hours paid assistant at internal medicine office

Volunteering: 250 hours across 2-3 different things, nothing super in depth or long term

EC: D1 student athlete. 1000+ hours. Started a youth training program for my sport at my school and led it for all of college, trained underprivileged kids for free

TA for engineering class 1 semester

Patent pending on medical device

I applied to 20 schools -13 MD/PhD, 7 MD

I’ve had 1 MD/PhD interview and 3 MD interviews. Waitlisted at MD/PhD school, haven’t heard back from others.

To make the best use of the next few months in case I need to reapply - what should I focus on? Should I retake the MCAT? More volunteering?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

When you say you haven't heard back... I truly think you will be accepted based on all of this. That probably isn't helpful, but when will you hear from the others?

Long time lurker - first post, finally made an account.

I’m applying this cycle and have received 4 interviews but so far no acceptances. I want to be prepared in case of a reapplication and was wondering what I should focus on improving the most.

Summary of application:
Degree in biomedical engineering from top program, graduated last year.

Currently working at drug start up as a research associate.

White
cGPA: 3:53
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 509 (practice tests were ~514, think I could improve here)
(4.0 gpa three of last four semesters)

Research: 2300 hours, 1 publication, 1 poster presentation

Clinical: 500 hours paid assistant at internal medicine office

Volunteering: 250 hours across 2-3 different things, nothing super in depth or long term

EC: D1 student athlete. 1000+ hours. Started a youth training program for my sport at my school and led it for all of college, trained underprivileged kids for free

TA for engineering class 1 semester

Patent pending on medical device

I applied to 20 schools -13 MD/PhD, 7 MD

I’ve had 1 MD/PhD interview and 3 MD interviews. Waitlisted at MD/PhD school, haven’t heard back from others.

To make the best use of the next few months in case I need to reapply - what should I focus on? Should I retake the MCAT? More volunteering?

Thanks in advance.
Suggest working on interview skills.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you weren't accepted based on this, I would say to either reevaluate your school list (unlikely since you have interviews) or to work on your interview skills.

It's good to prep for a reapp, but not a lot of schools have sent out acceptances yet so I wouldn't worry - with 4 interviews you're in good shape.

Thanks for your responses. My interviews were September - December. I know people from my interview days who have been accepted already which is why I’m getting nervous. I know that 4 interviews is a pretty good chance for an A but I don’t think I’ll know for sure until March and if I don’t get that A at that point it will be too late to improve my app. I know the wisdom of preparing to reapply till you have an A. So I’m just wondering what I could do between now and when I know for sure so I don’t waste time in case none of the 4 accept me.

You are working as a research associate, is there opportunity for growth or additional responsibilities there? What else are you doing outside of that job?

Wouldn't be at all surprised if you end up accepted at the end of the cycle! With that being said, you might consider retaking the MCAT, given the time remaining before the next cycle (as well as your practice scores). Your upward GPA trend is solid, and the rest of your EC's are excellent.

If you're open to the idea, applying to a broader spread of MD-only programs should do wonders for increasing your overall interview count next cycle. But as @Goro said, practicing interviews can help too.

I would say continue working on those extracurriculars throughout you have been doing - try to find opportunities in what you're currently doing where you can take on additional responsibilities and move up as cornfed said!

**IF** you do not get accepted based on these interviews, I would say it's definitely interview skills, so practice on those, do mock sessions, preferably professional if you can. However it's too soon to say since you're still waiting on those last decisions, so crossing my fingers for you! :D

Weak MD candidate. Ever think of going DO? Would have gotten in to a number of programs if you had.

Like Goro said, interview skills could be the parimary issue, in which case even DO could have been a struggle.

Best of luck.

• Dislike
Weak MD candidate. Ever think of going DO? Would have gotten in to a number of programs if you had.

Like Goro said, interview skills could be the parimary issue, in which case even DO could have been a struggle.

Best of luck.

3 MD II's out of 7 schools proves beyond a doubt that OP is NOT a weak MD candidate. Contrary to what a lot of people here say, "just apply DO" is not necessarily the best course of action for most applicants depending on their goals. OP's application is heavy on research, and the fact that they applied to more MD/PhD programs than MD-only programs shows that they intend to continue serious research involvement. In which case going DO is certainly not in their best interest.

Reactions: 6 users
3 MD II's out of 7 schools proves beyond a doubt that OP is NOT a weak MD candidate. Contrary to what a lot of people here say, "just apply DO" is not necessarily the best course of action for most applicants depending on their goals. OP's application is heavy on research, and the fact that they applied to more MD/PhD programs than MD-only programs shows that they intend to continue serious research involvement. In which case going DO is certainly not in their best interest.
OP most likely has issues interviewing - DO might have not been an option in that case regardless, maybe even moreso.

Have you just not heard back, or have you been rejected?

Work on interview skills, retake MCAT, consider DO.

Many DO schools are changing on the research front. While the opportunities are not as wide open as for most MD programs, if you have the will, you can get a research career going. I currently have one student who is an NIH MRSP fellow and plenty that have extensive research publication records while pursuing their DO. One of our DO faculty had a long career at the NIH. More than half of our DO students pursue research during their studies. If you attend a medical research conference such as the WMSRF, you will find that there is no difference in the quality of research conducted by our DO students and that of the MD students.

That said, it seems like the OP wants to pursue an MD/PhD, gets the II and thus to be accepted just needs to hone interview skills as others have said.

Thanks for your responses. I was lucky enough to receive an MD acceptance from one of the interviews for which I am eternally grateful. I won’t need to reapply after all :)

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Thanks for your responses. I was lucky enough to receive an MD acceptance from one of the interviews for which I am eternally grateful. I won’t need to reapply after all :)

congrats!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Your interview skills couldn't have been that terrible, then! One for three is a perfectly average interview: acceptance conversion rate. Good luck in med school!

• Love