Preparing for rotations after a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cytarabine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I used to be a frequent poster here, but I lost my account after the change to the new forum format. Anyway, I'm a dual degree student finishing up an MPH between 2nd and 3rd year. Over the course of this year, I've casually listened to most of the onlinemeded audio. I'll have about a month to a month and a half between the completion of my MPH and the start of 3rd year. I plan to use some of that time to get back in touch with medicine. What would your recommendations be for doing so? I was thinking about just reading through Step Up to Medicine a couple times over, refreshing on how to write notes, and physical exam basics. Would appreciate any input.

Thank in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you gotten your schedule yet? What's your first rotation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you gotten your schedule yet? What's your first rotation?

We'll be submitting our schedule requests in a couple weeks. It works somewhat like the match system for us - everyone submits their preferences for rotation order and location and the school runs it all through a program to match it up for everyone as best as possible. I'm leaning toward peds h/o but could definitely see myself doing IM (or IM subspecialty or med/peds) or possibly even FM, so the order I'm currently thinking is

Surgery (zero interest in it as a career, and there's a location with relatively easy hours; gives an opportunity to get back in touch with medicine in general)
IM/Neuro (medicine foundation for all future rotations and hopefully regained some competence; not much interest in neuro)
FM/Peds (in time to apply for aways if either of these firm up as a choice for me)
ObGyn/Psych (zero interest in ob/gyn, possible interest in psych but leaning toward no; having psych late gives some extra time for step 2 prep)

I think you should wait until you get your schedule. The fact is that taking time time off between 2nd and 3rd year means you won't have much to prepare as it's not as if most of your classmates are all-stars in clinic yet.

I'd just wait to pick up some review books once you know your first rotation. I like the case files series personally. I'd also suggest "Pocket Medicine", i.e. the green book, to use on all rotations. Regardless of field, if you're inpatient on any service you're going to be dealing with and managing common medical issues. If you get surgery, I'd review SOAP notes and basic anatomy. For the most part, you'll pick this stuff up quickly once you get to wards if you have appropriate mentorship. You shouldn't have to prepare too much.

Who the heck reads Step Up to Medicine a "couple times over"? I barely was able to finish one chapter during my 10 week medicine clerkship.

Chillax, bro. The wards is all about adapting to whatever circumstance you're in. You just gotta dive in and see what happens. Reading a treatise on retracting ain't going to help you on gen surg.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both for the input. With regard to step up to medicine, i was just under the impression that was one of the standard review books for im shelf, i haven't actually looked at it yet. I'll try to tone down the feeling of needing to prep somewhat, it just feels like you forget a crazy amount in a year