Preparing for the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldcrown17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I am getting ready to take my DAT and just want to get everyone's feedback with my materials/thought process. Just so everyone has an idea of where I'm coming from, I have pretty good study skills and have scored well in my undergraduate science courses. I just finished OChem and have been a biology TA for a year. I am taking 6-weeks to study:

Biology: Barron's AP Biology, Feralis' Notes, and Destroyer. I plan to go through Feralis' notes and make flashcards to review. With Barron's I plan to just review weak areas. I plan to take a few ours a day in the weeks leading up to the exam doing Destroyer questions.

General Chemistry: This is the section I feel least confident about... I will use Chad's Videos, Kaplan's DAT Review Notes, and Destroyer. I plan on using 2 weeks to go through Chad's videos, taking the quizzes and doing the outlines. I'll review using Kaplan's review notes and use the last few weeks to hit Destroyer hard.

Organic Chemistry: I love Ochem and since it is most fresh in my mind, I plan on hitting the ground running with Destroyer just working problems. I may use Kaplan's DAT review notes to go over concepts. Should I use Chad's Videos?

Quantitative Reasoning: Kaplan's review notes and Math Destroyer are what I will use here. Should I use Chad's Videos as well? I haven't taken a math course since College Calc in high school...

PAT: I really like the PAT but have a little trouble with key holes. I was going to use Kaplan review notes to get strategy down. What about Crack DAT PAT?

Reading: Again, Kaplan review notes are what I will primarily use.

For practice tests, I plan on using the online Kaplan one, the Kaplan one from the review notes, and the released test from the ADA website. Is topscore good as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
DAT Bootcamp is awesome! I also haven't had a math class since high school and I first thought it would be best to read through Kaplan for review on concepts, but after a few days I have now decided to just start working problems and the concepts are coming back to me as I work through the problems. I haven't started Math Destroyer yet though but I plan to start soon! I am doing the same thing as you in organic and biology too. I just started studying Monday, so probably not the best person to get advice from but just thought I'd let you know how my studying is going since you seem to be in the same place as me.

Hey Dentalgirl! Thanks for the advise. It's nice to know I'm doing the same as someone else. Kind of makes me feel like I'm on the right track. Good luck!

Hey everyone!
I am getting ready to take my DAT and just want to get everyone's feedback with my materials/thought process. Just so everyone has an idea of where I'm coming from, I have pretty good study skills and have scored well in my undergraduate science courses. I just finished OChem and have been a biology TA for a year. I am taking 6-weeks to study:

Biology: Barron's AP Biology, Feralis' Notes, and Destroyer. I plan to go through Feralis' notes and make flashcards to review. With Barron's I plan to just review weak areas. I plan to take a few ours a day in the weeks leading up to the exam doing Destroyer questions.

General Chemistry: This is the section I feel least confident about... I will use Chad's Videos, Kaplan's DAT Review Notes, and Destroyer. I plan on using 2 weeks to go through Chad's videos, taking the quizzes and doing the outlines. I'll review using Kaplan's review notes and use the last few weeks to hit Destroyer hard.

Organic Chemistry: I love Ochem and since it is most fresh in my mind, I plan on hitting the ground running with Destroyer just working problems. I may use Kaplan's DAT review notes to go over concepts. Should I use Chad's Videos?

Quantitative Reasoning: Kaplan's review notes and Math Destroyer are what I will use here. Should I use Chad's Videos as well? I haven't taken a math course since College Calc in high school...

PAT: I really like the PAT but have a little trouble with key holes. I was going to use Kaplan review notes to get strategy down. What about Crack DAT PAT?

Reading: Again, Kaplan review notes are what I will primarily use.

For practice tests, I plan on using the online Kaplan one, the Kaplan one from the review notes, and the released test from the ADA website. Is topscore good as well?

Hi GoldCrown!

I like your study plan! Especially thrilled you love Orgo, you will really enjoy the DAT Destroyer! If you know everything in that section and are very careful on the test not to make a silly mistake you have a chance to hit a high number on the DAT.

Ok, GenChem is not your favorite, you will have to work at that. Raymond Chang's GenChem book is an excellent reference book if needed. Again know all the work in the Destroyer, take your time. You will find it very challenging initially but it will get easier.

Bio, oh, Bio, it's a lot of memorization and no way around it. It's vast and it takes time to get through all the Bio in the Destroyer, but DO IT! Make sure you know all the right choices and well as incorrect choices.

Wishing you the best in your studies and if you follow your plan you WILL reach your goal!

Nancy