Preparing to Apply Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hydroflask10101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I applied this cycle and I know there's some time left but being realistic I want to improve my app. I am an ORM graduated from a T15 currently doing an SMP program where I got a 4.0 the first semester and hoping to do the same this semester.
MCAT: 509 (planning on retaking)
GPA: 3.49 undergrad (upward trend)
Clinical Volunteering 100+ hours
Nonclinical Volunteering 100 + hours
Research ~500 hours
My clinical hours is low and with Covid this year and my living situation (elderly relatives) decided not to find any opportunities this year. I plan on doing something clinical next gap year because I also would want a LOR from a doctor to apply to DO schools. Was wondering if I should reapply this May or honestly even wait another year so I can be a bit prepared. I would like to matriculate into medical school as soon as possible but would rather wait another year than be a third time applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours ? Which schools did you apply to ? Any interviews or wait lists ?

With the info you gave us, it looks like you didn't get in almost entirely due to GPA/MCAT. A 4.0 in an SMP will help significantly. I would only recommend retaking your MCAT if you're confident you can get something like a 513+. As for extracurriculars, you're right around the average for an accepted MD student. I think you're in good shape to apply this upcoming cycle.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours ? Which schools did you apply to ? Any interviews or wait lists ?
Illinois no interviews and about 30 hours of shadowing with 2 doctors. I think my LOR, PS, and secondaries were at least average I didn't rush them and always had someone else look t them
Virginia Tech
UIC
Hofstra University
Dartmouth
Temple
Rush
Rosalind and Franklin
Drexel
Tulane
Loyola
NYMC
PCOM GA
Geisinger
Rowan
TCU
Albany
EVMS
PCOM
Miami
SIU

With the info you gave us, it looks like you didn't get in almost entirely due to GPA/MCAT. A 4.0 in an SMP will help significantly. I would only recommend retaking your MCAT if you're confident you can get something like a 513+. As for extracurriculars, you're right around the average for an accepted MD student. I think you're in good shape to apply this upcoming cycle.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thanks the smp is super helpful for B/B material and Im confident I could get a 513+ if I took my time to study and practice which is why I was considering waiting another year so I can study during the summer.

With your GPA of 3.49 you should also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
CCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
LECOM (all schools)
UNECOM
WVSOM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)

Reactions: 1 user
With your GPA of 3.49 you should also apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
CCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
LECOM (all schools)
UNECOM
WVSOM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
Thank you so much for all your help! Would you recommend adding/removing from the MD list. I definitely plan on applying broadly to both MD and DO next cycle for sure.

From your list of MD schools you could remove Miami, Hofstra, Virginia Tech, Dartmouth, Geisinger, Rowan. You could add these MD schools:
Creighton
NOVA MD
George Washington
Seton Hall

Reactions: 1 user