Preping for PCATs

Started by lev zev
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lev zev

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking my PCAT's in Aug and I want to know what's the best way to get ready for them in a fashion where I wont really have to go back to my notes so many times. And is it enough time to start studying for them from June?

If anyone done this before please comment.
 
I'm taking my PCAT's in Aug and I want to know what's the best way to get ready for them in a fashion where I wont really have to go back to my notes so many times. And is it enough time to start studying for them from June?

If anyone done this before please comment.

I think this question hasn’t really been answered because the “best way” really depends on you. Everyone has their own unique study habits. It may only take some a few weeks to a few months to study for the PCAT. You really got to ask yourself what type of person you are when it comes to studying a huge amount of information. As for retaining the knowledge of this information, I think it is quite unavoidable for one to not always look back into their notes (Unless you are already familiar with the subject like you are a tutor 🙂). So really, the amount of time you plan to give yourself to study really depends on you. How familiar are you with the subjects? How long does it take you to understand topics that are unfamiliar to you? Are you the type to sit down long hours to read? Would there be unexpected distractions? Etc.

I think it can be done if you study in June. Just make a nice and reasonable schedule and always remember to review. 😉
 
Hey since the calculus section of the PCAT has been mentioned does anyone know to what extent is it covered on the PCAT? for example will there be graphs of derivatives and what not?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I remember about the calculus part, it was find the derivative, integral, limit. I don't remember there being graphs. But graphs and other calc problems are fair game so I wouldn't count them out.
 
this will probably be off the math topic, but do you remember if microbiology and human anatomy is present on the exam, and if so to what extent?

Thank you for your help
 
yes. i remember microbiology and anatomy were in the PCAT last Aug. Maybe 5-10 questions, I can't really remember. But, I do remember one question, that asked me what a specific species (some kind of bacteria) was. And, I had no clue how to go about it. The math section is always hard to finish within the allocated time. Good luck.
 
yes. i remember microbiology and anatomy were in the PCAT last Aug. Maybe 5-10 questions, I can't really remember. But, I do remember one question, that asked me what a specific species (some kind of bacteria) was. And, I had no clue how to go about it. The math section is always hard to finish within the allocated time. Good luck.

There were quite a few questions on a certain type of bacteria and what kind of disease they caused and I thought that was very bull****... but whatever..