Prepping for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokiemon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What courses do you feel should be taken prior to taking the MCAT?

Most post-bacs have the minimum requirements of Chem 1&2, Orgo Chem 1&2, Bio 1&2, and Phys 1&2.

I've heard that doesn't cover a lot of the information that is on the MCAT, such as material that you'd learn in Biochem, Anatomy, and Genetics.

Has anyone else heard the same or found this to be the case?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know a lot of ppl advocate taking genetics but I didn't really find it to be that helpful on the mcat. My choice would be anatomy and physiology. I felt like my 1 year bio course didn't go into enough depth when it came to physiology and there was so much on the August mcat.

However the gchem, ochem, and physics was more than sufficient to do well on the mcat. I haven't taken biochem or cell and molecular biology so don't know if they are helpful.

Hope this helps.

hokiemon said:
What courses do you feel should be taken prior to taking the MCAT?

Most post-bacs have the minimum requirements of Chem 1&2, Orgo Chem 1&2, Bio 1&2, and Phys 1&2.

I've heard that doesn't cover a lot of the information that is on the MCAT, such as material that you'd learn in Biochem, Anatomy, and Genetics.

Has anyone else heard the same or found this to be the case?

Thanks

i got a version with a lot of genetics so i'd say genetics courses really helped. physiology will be very helpful. biochem and molecular bio are not helpful. and the chems and physics are more than enough.
good luck