Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Preprofessional Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LanceP97, Apr 22, 2004.

1. LanceP97

LanceP97 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey all,

Tomorrow afternoon I have to go in for my preprofessional interview in front of 8 professors including the dean. I was wondering if there was anything in particular that I should do to give a good impression on myself and my motivation. Any help would be appreciated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. maoeris

maoeris Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is this a committee interview? If so relax and just prepare by reviewing what ever paper work you provided. I feel as long as you know why you want to be a doctor, and are current on news that effects medicine you will be alright. Good Luck!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

I found that at my school the pre-med committee was only concerned with grades and encouraging everyone to take a year of and in a lot of cases to not apply at all.

That being said, I don't think the interview means much. They'll probably ask you to clarify some of your ECs and talk about your personal statement and give you ways to improve it. They will also ask if you have questions. Be prepared with some. Overall it's nothing to worry about. The committee has probably decided what letter they'll give or will decide without remembering the interview.

Also take everything they say with a grain of salt. I found that often they don't know sh_t.

4. LanceP97

LanceP97 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the info. I'm just hoping it all goes well. Since I don't think I blew the MCAT out of the water, a good letter of recommendation may be all that seperates me from getting into medical school or not.

5. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

At my school, it was mostly a formality. What they wrote about you mostly came out of your file.... I guess they just like to attach a face to the letter. It's a good opportunity to practice your interview skills, though. It helps to think of the questions they could possibly ask and come up with some well thought out answers. That way you can go into your real interviews with confidence.

6. JohnHolmes

JohnHolmes Large Member
    10+ Year Member

Just basic stuff I was taught. Don't slouch. Maintain good eye contact, but don't stare. Don't cross your arms AND your legs (if you are a girl), its considered a defensive gesture. Know WHY you are

a) a good leader
    b) want to do medicine
    c) academically qualified
    d) different than other applicants
    e) A GOOD TEAM PLAYER

I cannot stress "E" enough

JH

7. Dr. N

Dr. N Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I heard from students who already went thru committe interview, that it is pretty serious. Lots of ethical questions.

8. TheRussian

7+ Year Member

Depends on the school I guess. My school had none of that.

The best resource for this is other people that went through it at your school.

9. Dr. N

Dr. N Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey Russian are you really russian?

10. TheRussian

7+ Year Member

Da

(that's Russian for yes)

11. Dr. N

Dr. N Senior Member
    5+ Year Member