Prereq class ranking #1 and #2..best way to mention it is??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm wondering if/where I should mention that I've ranked #1 in Bio I, II, Gen Chem I, II, #2 in Ochem I, II and Physics I and II. Those classes had well over 200 people in each class. I'll be getting letters of rec from 3 of the professors (which takes care of Bio I, Gen chem I/II and Ochem I/II). So they'll mention it in their LOR. How about the others which I'll not be getting the letters of recommendations from? Do you think it's worth my effort to mention them somewhere in the application....?? If so how/where? My overall GPA suffers a wee bit. So, I thought I'd pull all the stops.

Members don't see this ad.

i think your would be alright without mentioning it. I would focus on other stuff instead. your letter writers will note it in their letters , and you want to show more parts of yourself then your academic side.

so i was told.

Hello everyone.
I'm wondering if/where I should mention that I've ranked #1 in Bio I, II, Gen Chem I, II, #2 in Ochem I, II and Physics I and II. Those classes had well over 200 people in each class. I'll be getting letters of rec from 3 of the professors (which takes care of Bio I, Gen chem I/II and Ochem I/II). So they'll mention it in their LOR. How about the others which I'll not be getting the letters of recommendations from? Do you think it's worth my effort to mention them somewhere in the application....?? If so how/where? My overall GPA suffers a wee bit. So, I thought I'd pull all the stops.

You did so well in all your science pre-reqs, how bad could you GPA be?

Don't mention it in your PS or anywhere else. It'll just make you look kind of turd-ish (new word, go me!) if you bring it up yourself. Let your letter writers say it for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you want to impress the interviewers but shownig-off might make you look cocky or even stupid *****.

The only way to mention it without looking stupid is to get a letter of rec from one of the profs of these classes, and hope that it is mentioned in the letter.

The only place that info should be mentioned is in the LORs. There's nothing wrong with going to the profs who are writing the letters and specifically ask that this information be included. If they're any good at writing letters, they'll know to include it anyway.

Just leave it alone.

Granted, I'm not in med school, but if I were a student interviewer and got a PS that mentioned that, you'd be getting a pimp session like you wouldn't believe. It reeks of insecurity and/or arrogance; neither of which are things you want to come through on an app. Then again, I'm kind of a dick.

You've said your profs will mention it, so adcoms will know.

Your school ranks you in each class? At my school, grades are posted by student number and you only have access to your grades and the class average per test. Final grades are distributed without an average though we assume it's a C of some sort.

How does your system work?

I would mention it in your MCAT like this BS-15, PS-15

Your school ranks you in each class? At my school, grades are posted by student number and you only have access to your grades and the class average per test. Final grades are distributed without an average though we assume it's a C of some sort.

How does your system work?

The professors at our school post the cumulative averages of the entire semester for everyone in the class by their ID number. So, it's easy to see one's ranking. Thanks everyone for your inputs.

You should definitely put it in your personal statement. I personally think the personal statement is the place to list most of your accomplishments that aren't shown in your list of extra-curriculars. Around half of the PS should be about grades (don't focus on what you learned - just on the grades), with another quarter being focused on High school grades and accomplishments. The final quarter should be where you really "sell" yourself about how you're clearly the best applicant out there, especially from your school. Speaking of which, what school?

Ranking in individual classes.... Is this common?

I've never heard of this before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not mention it...it will come off the wrong way and hurt you more than help

Hello everyone.
I'm wondering if/where I should mention that I've ranked #1 in Bio I, II, Gen Chem I, II, #2 in Ochem I, II and Physics I and II.

Don't. It will be definately be in the LOR's. It always is. What else are they going to say in them? "He was #1 in my 200 person biology lecture and makes an outstanding cheese souffle."

Mentioning it yourself will make you look like a douche. Congrats, those are some impressive accomplishments. You must have no life.. :laugh: ;) Seriously, good for you. Someone's gotta be at the top.

Don't. It will be definately be in the LOR's. It always is. What else are they going to say in them? "He was #1 in my 200 person biology lecture and makes an outstanding cheese souffle."

Mentioning it yourself will make you look like a douche. Congrats, those are some impressive accomplishments. You must have no life.. :laugh: ;) Seriously, good for you. Someone's gotta be at the top.

Hey, that's not always true (but in this case... eh). I still disagree. I think the OP should mention it at any opportunity. I would also recommend getting a "#1 Dad" tie, and making a very nice sticker of "science student" put over the Dad. I mean, how many students are at the top of their respective chemistry courses?

Well, thanks for ALL your replies! They were really funny and entertaining. "*****" and "douche" were some of the ones that made me laugh. Oh, and the "cheese souffle" and the #1 dad tie one were hilarious. I don't know man. You all do have excellent points. I'll consult with my professors and my medical school (I'm not applying to it due to complicated residency issue which I don't meet... although I live here in Hawaii, I'm not the medical school's version of a resident). Oh, by the way, I go to University of Hawaii, Manoa.

Mentioning it yourself will make you look like a douche.
Agreed. It's one of those cringe-worthy things when you look at an application or resume. Like someone who mentions that they're in Mensa...

The only place that info should be mentioned is in the LORs. There's nothing wrong with going to the profs who are writing the letters and specifically ask that this information be included. If they're any good at writing letters, they'll know to include it anyway.

:thumbup: Agreed. Schools will get the message, and as someone else said, there's definitely a major cringe-factor if you keep hitting the app reader over the head with it. How on earth would you work that into a PS? "Yes, while being ranked #2 in Orgo II and #1 in Physics I, I discovered my passion for medicine..." You do want to have something in your PS that makes you memorable, but you want it to be memorable in a good way. :)

That....and paired with a "slightly suffering" GPA, if you're incredibly vocal about your ranking in individual classes then personally it would make me start to wonder why, if you were #1 in Bio and a couple of other classes, you did poorly in several others...and pondering poor academic performance is not something you want an adcom to spend extra time thinking about.

Are you thinking of someone in particular? :p
Actually, no. But I've come across folks who bullet it on their resume, and to a one they've been pretty.... sad.

Highlighting membership in any club whose acceptance criteria is performance on a standardized test is just dull. It's like using an AMCAS experience to mention your high SAT score. Just... sad.

If you want to get in, don't mention it. At least most adcomms are doing their absolute best to weed out the people who actually care about rank.

If you want to get in, don't mention it. At least most adcomms are doing their absolute best to weed out the people who actually care about rank.
Thanks for your input. But, how do you know that ADCOMs "are doing their absolute best to weed out the people who actually care about rank"? I'm curious.

I ranked at the top of alot of my classes also and when I mention it to people they think Im arrogant. Im not arrogant though, I really am ****ing awesome.

Hello everyone.

lol, cheated your way thru the science pre-reqs huh :laugh:

you must enjoy attention ... too bad it would be negative attention in the eyes of the adcoms if you mention all that irrelavent bullsh*t.

This is how I got rejected from SIU.

Questions in my interview involved antagonizing me to see if I was modest or not (about my superior intelligence).

I was asked:

1.How much I study : Proper response (to get in) should be A LOT (doesnt matter how much you actually study. lie about this if you have to)
2.Was I happy with my mcat : Proper response is YES I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY(even if you arent)
3. Have you interviewed applied anywhere else: (dont mention rival schools) ie for siu any chicago schools. Yeah I ****ed up.
4. Any other questions: Dont ask about hopsital and compare to a hospital at a rival school (ie cook county).

Can you tell that Im bitter about being rejected by siu? Well I didnt want to go there anyway, but I still should have been accepted. I wanted an acceptance to assure a seat next year @ some med school. Now Im still waiting and worrying.

lol, cheated your way thru the science pre-reqs huh :laugh:

you must enjoy attention ... too bad it would be negative attention in the eyes of the adcoms if you mention all that irrelavent bullsh*t.

I study ALOT to get the grades I've gotten. I'm not quite sure about the negative vibe I'm getting from you. It's not really appropriate. Just make your opinions known rather than speculating about how I got my grades. Grow up.

I study ALOT to get the grades I've gotten. I'm not quite sure about the negative vibe I'm getting from you. It's not really appropriate. Just make your opinions known rather than speculating about how I got my grades. Grow up.

Did i rustle a little insecure feather?

Mentioning being in the top of your class in your pre-req. classes sure is a mature way to go about it, isnt it? :smuggrin: :laugh:

This is how I got rejected from SIU.

Questions in my interview involved antagonizing me to see if I was modest or not (about my superior intelligence).

I was asked:

1.How much I study : Proper response (to get in) should be A LOT (doesnt matter how much you actually study. lie about this if you have to)
2.Was I happy with my mcat : Proper response is YES I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY(even if you arent)
3. Have you interviewed applied anywhere else: (dont mention rival schools) ie for siu any chicago schools. Yeah I ****ed up.
4. Any other questions: Dont ask about hopsital and compare to a hospital at a rival school (ie cook county).

Can you tell that Im bitter about being rejected by siu? Well I didnt want to go there anyway, but I still should have been accepted. I wanted an acceptance to assure a seat next year @ some med school. Now Im still waiting and worrying.

same thing happened to me at a DO school I applied to ... haha, oh well, screw 'em ... I got in where I wanted to go anyways.

same thing happened to me at a DO school I applied to ... haha, oh well, screw 'em ... I got in where I wanted to go anyways.

DO school? This is pre-allo. He's a witch!
HolyGrail026.jpg

Did i rustle a little insecure feather?

Mentioning being in the top of your class in your pre-req. classes sure is a mature way to go about it, isnt it? :smuggrin: :laugh:

You are saying "Did i rustle a little insecure feather?"....from a guy who calls himself a Dr. who's not even a doctor? Who's the insecure person here?