PREREQ MORE THAN 7+ years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayCharles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I took Chem back in 2009 and 2010 during my undergrad and I did horrible in them. I had to take one twice.

Western University states that some prereq are required to be taken within 7 years of matriculation (After August 2010). I later repeated them after my undergrad and got A's in them.

My question is since those Chem grades I took in 2008-2009 are older than 7+ years, will they count those classes in the prereq gpa? In general how do programs deal with expired prereqs? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the university. Some universities will use both the first time and repeated class grades and average them together, while others will use the best grade out of the two. As far as pre-reqs extending beyond the requested time, just contact the department head and see what they say. I know for me, my A&P was about 8-9 years ago, but since I've been working in the PT field, a lot of schools made an exception to not overlook me if I applied.

In my experience, all my schools counted every single one of my terrible pre reqs from back in the day! It was rough. I was a failed pre-med more than 10 years prior to applying to PT school. I had a string of Cs and a few failures in there. None of those classes counted for schools in terms of fulfilling pre reqs but they all counted in pulling down my GPA. I retook everything and got straight As, but my pre req GPA was still pretty low.

The silver lining is that at long as you make the minimum required pre req GPA (most of my school's required a 3.0), you MIGHT have a chance that someone reviews your application in person and will see your grade breakdown. I also highlighted this situation a bit in the application (where you can explain academic discrepancies).