prereq q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farrah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad has really sucked and was planning on taking an informal postbacc next year:

So far I have about a 2.12 BCMP and 66 hours of credit with two D's and one F

If I can pull my BCMP gpa to at least a 2.9, do I have a decent chance at med school?

....i've changed my study habits though completely and won't be working next year to focus on my classes

I plan to take:
Ochem 1 and 2 (15 hours)
Biochem (5 hours)
Physiology (10 hours)
Genetics (5 hrs)
Neurobiology (5 hrs)
Pharmacology (3 hours)
one microbiology class (5 hours)

and i will Finish the rest of my calculus

If I take these upper level classes, and do well on them, pull A's - will these be enough to try applying to medical school? Or is one year of good grades not enough for medical schools? as a backup plan I'm applying to SMP's next year as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Farrah said:
My undergrad has really sucked and was planning on taking an informal postbacc next year:

If I can pull my BCMP gpa to at least a 2.9, do I have a decent chance at med school?

....i've changed my study habits though completely and won't be working next year to focus on my classes

I plan to take:
Ochem 1 and 2 (15 hours)
Biochem (5 hours)
Physiology (10 hours)
Genetics (5 hrs)
Neurobiology (5 hrs)
Pharmacology (3 hours)
one microbiology class (5 hours)

and i will Finish the rest of my calculus

If I take these upper level classes, and do well on them, pull A's - will these be enough to try applying to medical school? Or is one year of good grades not enough for medical schools? as a backup plan I'm applying to SMP's next year as well.

It depends on your cum as well as the fabled MCAT. First of all, are you sure you can pull up your BCMP GPA to a 2.9 with that course load? Just eye balling it it looks like you'd around 50 credits of A's but no bother. If your cum is around a 3.0 and you took that course load, got A's and a solid MCAT I would say you have a decent shot at allopathic schools. If your GPA (like mine) is around your BCMP then I would highly recommend pursuing an SMP after your post-bac year and then you will look pretty sharp with a freshly minted transcript. I took an undergraduate course load similar to yours and then I took a few more courses over the following year and its still not enough for medical schools even though I have 31 MCAT and a 3.9 GPA in 39 credits of upperdivision post-bac work. Georgetown here I come!! Point is your road is just beginning so plan ahead.

Good Luck!!

Tooth

Farrah said:

There are many people who have started in a hole, rehabilitated their credentials and gotten in, but it is not a quick process. I'm not sure a 2.9, even with recent A's in upper levels is enough to get into med school, but agree with the previous poster that getting the GPA up to 3.0 with your postbac should be close to what you need to get into a good SMP program, and from there you will have a better shot at being looked at by med schools. Not sure how you did in the prereqs, but you may also consider taking those you did poorly in over as well as the upper levels. Good luck.