Prereq question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrispy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat question but I didn't see it anywhere on here. I am going back to school to try to get prereqs done for pharmacy school. As I am looking at school requirements it seems like each school has nearly the same requirements except for one or two classes. Like school A wants 8 hours physics, school B wants biochem but only 4 hours of physics, etc. I am trying to register for classes but am having a hard time figuring out what is essential to take. It just seems like every school I am looking at wants something different. Wow, looking over this post it is more of a rant than a question but any advice would be appreciated for a confused student.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this is a repeat question but I didn't see it anywhere on here. I am going back to school to try to get prereqs done for pharmacy school. As I am looking at school requirements it seems like each school has nearly the same requirements except for one or two classes. Like school A wants 8 hours physics, school B wants biochem but only 4 hours of physics, etc. I am trying to register for classes but am having a hard time figuring out what is essential to take. It just seems like every school I am looking at wants something different. Wow, looking over this post it is more of a rant than a question but any advice would be appreciated for a confused student.

Congrats on going back to school! Pretty much every school requires gen chem I and II, org chem I & II, bio I & II. I would start there and mix in some of the general classes like economics, public speaking, psychology, etc. That should keep you busy long enough to narrow down your choice of pharm schools and then you can decide if you need physics, or that second calc class, depending on what schools you decide to apply to. Good luck! :)

Take:
Biology I + Lab
Biology II + Lab
Gen Chem I + Lab
Gen Chem II + Lab
Organic Chem I + Lab
Organic Chem II + Lab
Physics I + Lab
PHysics II + Lab
Microbiology + Lab (I didn't have Lab...UNC and Wingate required it! :rolleyes:)
Economics
Psychology
Sociology
Public Speaking (need to take this...SUCKS I know cuz I am taking it now! :rolleyes:)
Calculus I
Calculus II
Statistics (I didn't have this class and once again UNC and Wingate and MANY other schools required this! :thumbdown:)
English I
English II
History class (just in case!)
Physical Education (why not? its fun and keeps you skinny! ;) And Campbell and Wingate requires it! )

You should take all of the above just for Pre Pharm classes. Good luck!

Thank you both for your fast responses! I guess I should clarify that I graduated abouta year ago with a degree(history) but realized that there is not a whole lot you can do with a history degree. So, I am trying to focus in on science classes since I have all the others soc, economics, english, psych, etc. I am currently taking Calc, Physics, and Human Anat and phys I. I plan on taking Chem I and II during the summer. I am getting ready to register for classes for next fall but am at a small university and they only offer certain classes certain semesters and am having trouble trying to fit it all in especially since I am trying to be done by fall of 2010. It is quite confusing trying to keep track of all the different schools and their requirements. Thanks, again!