Prereqs at a community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

empresslily

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bachelor's degree from a university and I would like to take my prerequisites at a community college. Do any/all D.O. schools look at this negatively? Will any D.O. school accept prereqs from a community college? I will not be able to transfer these courses, since I have already graduated & received a degree. Is it a must to do a postbaccalaureate premedical program or can I take the courses I will need to be admitted at a university/community college?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools may advise that they "prefer" that the prereqs. be taken at a 4-year university/college.

Others may not have a preference. It is probably best to e-mail the DO schools you are interested in and ask for their input.

I was in the same boat - had a bachelor's degree in business from the University of Colorado then decided on a different career path. I am currently completing my second year at a CC where I have completed (or am in the process) ALL of the required prereqs. I just got accepted to LECOM!!! At all of my interviews, the CC coursework wasn't even discussed. But like someone else suggested, I would call the schools you are interested in just to make sure! Good luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
empresslily said:
I have a bachelor's degree from a university and I would like to take my prerequisites at a community college. Do any/all D.O. schools look at this negatively? Will any D.O. school accept prereqs from a community college? I will not be able to transfer these courses, since I have already graduated & received a degree. Is it a must to do a postbaccalaureate premedical program or can I take the courses I will need to be admitted at a university/community college?
If you do well in them there shouldn't be any problem.

it's d.o. school, no worries

empresslily said:
I was finishing up my university coursework when I returned to school but when I heard there was a "good" teacher at a CC, I'd take the opportunity - so at times, I was taking a load the University and 1 class (prereq) at a CC. This didn't seem to be a problem whatsoever. I'd say 1/2 my prereqs were done at that level. If they ask why: smaller classrooms, less expensive, same books and material (and sometimes teacher) as university level, etc.

I did all of my pre-reqs at the local CC and it wasn't a problem. I was only asked about it at one school... the one I'm at now. :thumbup:

dbth77 said:
it's d.o. school, no worries

Don't mind this guy, he's a troll! Just to clarify, I didn't get asked at my MD interview either!

I completed an associates degree with the biology and basic chemistry prereqs at the institution. There has been no problem or discrimination in my journey to acceptance. Just a random opinion- I feel as though I have learned more at a community college than I have at my university, but lessons in life have definitely been more numerous on the university level. I simply flourished in the smaller class sizes, friendlier student environment, and atmosphere of professors who truly wanted to teach. *sigh* In summary, take the community college courses to finish the prerequisites and I hope you have just as good of an experience as I did. You have already shown with your degree your ability to handle the educational system so get 'er done!

empresslily said:

All DO schools will accept prerequisites from a community college. Your GPA better be extremely high, though.