Prereqs - do I take the easy way out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gracietiger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
This is my first time posting. I graduated college in '05 with a degree in philosophy and have since decided to pursue veterinary school. I have been living in Sacramento, so am conveniently located very close to Davis, which is where I am beginning to take my prereqs.
Naturally, trying to get into UC Davis seems to be the most likely goal for me. I cannot really imagine going anywhere else, especially because I have a home here, and my boyfriend is well-integrated here as well, and considering medical schools in the area. It seems that we are pretty set (and happy) here. However, my family lives on the East Coast, quite a ways from Cali, so I knew that when considering veterinary school, there might be a little chance I would want to at least consider some closer to home. However, the really only viable option to be more nearby my family would be Penn, and I don't feel very interested in Penn's vet program; I just don't know that it would be a good fit for me. I would ONLY consider Penn because of its location.
So with that said, I could really use some advice about my prerequiste courses. As I said, I am fulfilling them at UC Davis, and trying to do so while working full-time and as quickly as possible. UC Davis' vet school accepts prereqs taken here at Davis that do not fulfill any other school's requirements. For example, let's take Physics and Organic Chemistry. The veterinary school at UC Davis accepts what are considered to be the "easier" versions of the physics and orgo courses. These courses are only two quarters in duration, versus the three quarters that comprise a year's worth of a course. Also, none of them but one orgo involve a lab.
Originally, I had decided that I would take the pre-med level courses, so that I could have more options when applying to vet school (since many require a year's worth of these courses WITH lab). However, I just recently begun the Physics three-part series, and hear nothing but horror stories. It is a very non-traditional course, and I can see that I may struggle. I am all for a challenge, however, is it worth it when I could take an easier course that would fulfill UC Davis' vet school requirements and do much better in it? I feel MUCH more confidently about the lower level course as it is more traditional in that if you read, study and do practice problems, you will do well.
Also, the organic chemistry that is required for UC Davis' vet school is much less intense. One of the quarters is only two credits!!!! This is very appealing to me because it is so much cheaper, which would be great considering I am not taking out any loans and trying to work to pay for these courses as I go. It is also, like I said, much shorter so I would be done with my prereqs even sooner.
So I am very torn. I feel really really sure that I could do very well in the lower-level physics and orgo courses. So far I am pulling A's in the chemistry courses, and feel fairly certain I could do so in the less intense of the courses. I am not saying they won't be hard, at all, but I think they are the type of courses that students who read and practice problems, are rewarded with high grades. I am very willing to do that. The year long series for physics and orgo are much more conceptual and less study based, which in my case, means good grades don't come from hard work. I definitely feel much less confident, and while I think this kind of challenge is great, I don't want poorer grades.
Deciding to take the lower level courses that would only fulfill UC Davis' prereqs would only allow me to apply to UC Davis. I would have no other options, veterinary school or anything else. If I never got into vet school, I could not apply to medical school with these courses.
So is it worth it to have options? Or is it better to just do really really well in the courses and hope that a close-to 4.0 science GPA would make it so that my chances of getting into Davis were really high? Or should I potentially get a much lower GPA just to have options?

Sorry this is so long. This dilemma is stressing me out!! One downside of doing this myself is that I have no academic advising!

Thanks so much for any insight. It is MUCH appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you should meet with someone in the UCDavis admissions office to get their advice? I don't know how far along you are in preparing your application or if you have lots of veterinary/animal experience already, but they could help you figure out how to make yourself a great Davis candidate. They can also give you insight as to which classes they truly do prefer - it's possible that many people are applying with a much more rigorous pre-rec courseload than the bare minimum, which may be taken into consideration when they look at your GPA and transcript.

It sounds like you have made up your mind about going to Davis, which is totally reasonable considering you really like the area and would get IS tuition (HUGE savings!). The only risk is that it's also very competitive to get into and getting in on your first try may or may not happen. In the worst case scenario, are you willing to wait until you get in? Many applicants apply to several schools, trying to increase their chances of getting in first try - but if your heart is set on Davis only, I'd do whatever Davis wants!

I don't know a lot about UC Davis but I would think that with how competitive it is to get into vet school you should be ready to do the challenges of the upper level courses. The vet school may accept these as prereqs but you are most likely going to be competing with people from all over that have had to take courses more like the upper level ones. I would think it would look better that you are willing to challenge yourself because vet school is challenging and there is no easy way out.
Sorry if that doesn't all make sense... I know what I was trying to say but its been a long day and I'm not sure it all came out quite right.