Prereqs for a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmijo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the prereqs for a DO school the same for an MD program? Also is it acceptable to apply to DO and MD programs at the same time, or do adcomms question this?

Members don't see this ad.

HI! The prerequisites for admission are the same for both allopathic and osteopathic schools. However, when applying to DO schools there are two things to keep in mind: 1) Make sure you have a letter of recommendation from a DO and not an MD. It may not make a difference to some schools, but to my school it does. 2) Be prepared to explain yourself during your DO (MD adcoms won't ask) interview why you applied to both MD and DO schools at the same time. Starting thinking now for a good answer becuase you will need it! The DO adcoms know that many applicants apply to DO schools as a back up in case they are rejected from their chosen allotment of allopathic schools. I think it's best if you choose all or nothing when applying. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by pags (edited 09-28-2000).]

DO's adcomms do not know that you applied for MD schools unless you tell them.

The same is true for MD adcomms

Members don't see this ad :)
No, MS, they can easily find out and they OFTEN ask. It would be quite bad to be caught in a lie on your interview...

What would be a good reason to give the adcoms? I mean, I know I am applying because I know my commitment to medicine and goal of becoming a physician is too important to limit myself to only type of medicine, and I wanted to have the highest chances of admission, by applying to both allopathic and osteopathic.

Is this a good and usuable explanation? What are other people's answers, especially those who have already been admitted.

on the pre req. issue: as with MD schools, make sure you check each schools requirements. Some of the DO schools (like UHS) REQUIRE Bio chem and genetics...

nmehta211,

That sounds great! I applied to both MD and DO schools with pretty sketchy reasons (I ended up being accepted to both a DO school and MD schools). I felt that I should be honest with them, and I was. I said that I wanted to be a doctor, and I didn't care what letters came after my name. I said it, and I wasn't lying.

At the same time, the sketchy part was that I knew from the moment I set foot on that campus that I would never want to attend that school, so I guess my answers were a bit dishonest!

In the end, they blew it even more by putting me with a first year during the lunch who had had to choose between MD and DO school, and chose DO. It was apparent from that point on that I had been targeted because they probably knew I had already received MD acceptances. And it was kind of uncomfortable because it felt like everybody I met was trying to sell me this idea of osteopathic medicine, even though I had already "bought into it." It made me feel like they were trying too hard to pull me away from "the dark side" of medicine (ie MD schools).

Oh well, that was just one person's experience at one school. I only wrote it here to warn you in advance that these things do tend to get complicated. You need to be prepared to answer questions as to your motivations. And be prepared with honest answers!

I applied to both and have interviewed at both. However, I think I may be in the minority simply because my first choice is D.O. and my backup is the M.D. The sticking point for me was tuition. There are only three D.O. schools that are state institutions and because of that, most D.O. schools cost as much the most expensive private M.D. ones. However, I am more than wiling to make a commitment to the National Health Service Corps or a State Bureau of Primary care in exchange for a scholarship. Because of this, I made the decision not to make tuition a factor and explore my D.O. interest.
I do not think D.O. schools are better, I think they are equal. However, their mission statements/philosophy are slanted toward fostering individuals who want to go into primary care. For someone like me, I am an older non-traditional student, who has past health care experience and is 99% sure I want to do family practice, D.O. schools are a great choice. There is also the personality of the schools, their philosophies and of course, OMT; I am attracted to them all.
I know many students who apply to both. However, you really need to shadow a D.O. and do some reading on the profession to become familiar with it. If you do have a genuine interest, it will show. If you are applying just as a back up, that will show to. Although, I do know many students who said, ?I applied because I was not sure which one I wanted to go to,? or ?I am undecided and I wanted to use the interview process to help make up my mind.? Reasons like these are completely acceptable. Let me say this though, be committed. The application processes is expensive and arduous, do not apply somewhere that you know you will not be happy. Medical school is too much of a suck-fest to have in the back of your mind doubts about the school you are attending. It will make for a pretty miserable time. If you do not get in the first year, try again.

smile.gif
Good Luck