Prereqs Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amdocahe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I just got into a two-year postbac program (USC) that will allow me to take my science prereqs (foreign degree holder here). However, in order to open up my application pool for med school, I've decided to take a couple more GEs to boost my total credit hours to 60. I'm currently trying to squeeze in a class or two into my pre-existing work/shadowing schedule this summer.

My question is: Would taking non-science GEs such as Psychology, Sociology, and Statistics online through CSUN/UCLA be fine or would that harm my chances in a couple of years?

If it would, I could probably just squeeze one class in every semester since the USC postbac only lets you take two science prereqs every semester.

Thoughts? Thanks again, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone! I just got into a two-year postbac program (USC) that will allow me to take my science prereqs (foreign degree holder here). However, in order to open up my application pool for med school, I've decided to take a couple more GEs to boost my total credit hours to 60. I'm currently trying to squeeze in a class or two into my pre-existing work/shadowing schedule this summer.

My question is: Would taking non-science GEs such as Psychology, Sociology, and Statistics online through CSUN/UCLA be fine or would that harm my chances in a couple of years?

If it would, I could probably just squeeze one class in every semester since the USC postbac only lets you take two science prereqs every semester.

It’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your input, @Forever Geebs! I've been reading a couple of threads and it's been such a contested topic.

I'd love anyone else's input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input, @Forever Geebs! I've been reading a couple of threads and it's been such a contested topic.

I'd love anyone else's input!

Just a little extra pain in the ass when you start getting your transcripts approved, but I'm not sure why taking any additional college courses to better yourself would be contested; as long as you do well that is.

As long as the extra classes do not impair your performance go for it. I took 15 quarter units my final quarter along with 7 at the community college to get some things out of the way and did well in all of them

The only thing I would be concerned about is taking stats online. Many schools require the intro to stats course, and many also do not accept any online credits. But other than that consideration, have fun!

The only thing I would be concerned about is taking stats online. Many schools require the intro to stats course, and many also do not accept any online credits. But other than that consideration, have fun!

Yeah, I might take Statistics the traditional way. Other humanities classes online should be fine, right? @starbuck2

Last edited: