Prereqs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamandsam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to have all prereqs done before you take the DAT? And if not do you have to have them all done before you apply or before you are admitted?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Prereqs must be completed prior to matriculation at the dental school. DAT is up to you but I suggest at least finishing orgo 2 before you take the DAT

Any feeling for how the lack of prereqs are viewed by admissions? I have all chem and bio done. I haven't taken any physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms like to use your prereqs and upper level science courses as a comparative gauge against those who are also applying. They might have a hard time gauging your academic ability if you don't have prereqs and that could mean that they will take someone who has shown proficiency in those areas instead.

Adcoms like to use your prereqs and upper level science courses as a comparative gauge against those who are also applying. They might have a hard time gauging your academic ability if you don't have prereqs and that could mean that they will take someone who has shown proficiency in those areas instead.

Upper division chemistry and biology (not including grad school science classes) I will have conservation biology, ecology, human toxicology, nanobiological interfaces, physical chemistry, biochemistry and maybe cell biology. Is that sufficient?

I am actually going through exactly what you are talking about right now. My decision to apply to dental school came kind of a bit late (February) and I am a finance major so i didn't have really many science prereqs done. I took some science classes over the summer and did the DAT at the end of August so my total app didn't get complete until later which I'm sure didn't help. The science I classes I had completed on my AADSAS transcript Gen Chem 1 & 2, 1 general bio, physiology, and Ochem 1.. so pretty meager. I have a pretty good GPA and kinda just did my own thing for DAT study and I ended up getting a 21 so I figured I'd be at least alittle competative even with minimum science classes.

As for D-schools though I have only heard back from 2, Buffalo and UNLV. I got an interview from buffalo about a week or 2 later after taking the dat, and then rejection from UNLV.. As of December 1st I was waitlisted at Buffalo though. (check my predents for the info)

In my interview at Buffalo one of the topics that came up was my lack of science classes. I obviously had to do a little explaining but I thought it still went ok.

When applying I figured I might not get many responses until the academic update and my fall grades were posted, which I'm thinking might be correct intuition. I did recieve a 2ndary app from UW a couple months ago or so but other than that I haven't heard anything else.

Hope this helps shed some light for you; I know for me it was a pretty overwhelming process that seemed like it just came about overnight. By all means though I would rather do it sooner than later, I contemplated waiting an extra year to apply but figured "why not" if I could get in a year earlier, no harm in trying.

Good Luck :)

That does help a lot. I have been thinking about d school for sometime and finally decided to go for it. My brother is a third year at OHSU and loves it.

Out of curiosity and if you don't mind, how many shadow hours did you have and what was your GPA.

Thanks again.

I did recieve a 2ndary app from UW a couple months ago or so but other than that I haven't heard anything else.

FYI: most schools send out 2ndary apps even if they have no intention on talking to you. Just another way for the schools to make a quick buck.

In retrospect. If the school did not really want to consider someone why would they send them the 2ndary if they were not really going to consider them in the first place? Money.

Just my opinion

Out of curiosity and if you don't mind, how many shadow hours did you have and what was your GPA.

Well my dad is a dentist and i've worked for him a couple summers, I'd also been to a couple dental seminars w/ him and shadowed a couple of his colleagues. I wasn't sure how many hours exactly it was so i think I just put around 300 on my application; figuring it was a close enough guess. As for GPA it is 3.87 science, 3.76 overall.

On a side note my brother is 1st year OHSU right now as well.

I did recieve a 2ndary app from UW a couple months ago or so but other than that I haven't heard anything else.
I've heard that UW doesn't give 2ndarys to everyone, but that's just from hearsay, I can't confirm that or anything.

Well my dad is a dentist and i've worked for him a couple summers, I'd also been to a couple dental seminars w/ him and shadowed a couple of his colleagues. I wasn't sure how many hours exactly it was so i think I just put around 300 on my application; figuring it was a close enough guess. As for GPA it is 3.87 science, 3.76 overall.

On a side note my brother is 1st year OHSU right now as well.

I've heard that UW doesn't give 2ndarys to everyone, but that's just from hearsay, I can't confirm that or anything.

Thank you for sharing your GPA. Nice work. Mine is more like 3.6 science and overall.

How many hour shadowing is competitive? And what are some other ways in which I can bolster that part of my app?

I wouldnt mind OHSU myself.
Thanks again.

You could take physics after you take the DAT. There is no physics on the exam but many schools require you to take physics as a pre-req.