prerequisite advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pghstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure if anyone else is extremely frustrated with PTCAS, but I retook a few prerequisite classes the past few years and really brought up my gpa. However, it seems that when we designate what our prerequisite classes are, we have to include the new grade and the original grade. This severely brings down my GPA and I am worried that school's won't even look at my application if they see that GPA, which is unfortunate since I ended up with A's in some of the classes I did poorly in my freshman year.

I was wondering if everyone is including both courses as prereqs if you retook one? Or did anyone have any advice on how to avoid this GPA discrepancy. It also doesn't help that each school has different requirements too. Thanks to any help

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have to mention everything. But does it show only the retake to schools who agree to count only your best grade each time? Or does it always average the first try and the subsequent retake, even if the school only cares about each grade?

But I am also wondering: If each school a person applies to calculates prerequisite GPA differently, does PTCAS calculate each separetely? Or does it report the same n⅔umber to all schools?

You have to include both grades, and PTCAS will average the two. However, some schools may look at your 2nd attempt, while others will look at the average..it all depends on the school. If you got A`s on your 2nd attempt, you should be fine I think.

I think you have to mention everything. But does it show only the retake to schools who agree to count only your best grade each time? Or does it always average the first try and the subsequent retake, even if the school only cares about each grade?

But I am also wondering: If each school a person applies to calculates prerequisite GPA differently, does PTCAS calculate each separetely? Or does it report the same n⅔umber to all schools?

I am pretty sure ptcas reports the same GPA's to all schools. Some schools pay a lot of attention to the ptcas GPA's and others will calculate their own (i.e. instead of looking at the ptcas prerequisite gpa that factors in both the original and retake grade for a class, they may calculate their own gpa using only the highest grade). That is just an example though, not all schools take the highest grade.