1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

prerequisite English

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by rcwha, Jun 16, 2008.

1. rcwha

2+ Year Member

I took technical writing and englist 1( called Expository and Argumentative Writing at my college).. PLEASE tell me that those classes will cover my English composition and English literature prerequisite for dental school....I'm about to graduate and I'm a little worried.

Thanks in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Those sound like technical writing classes. However english literature is different. That would be like studying works of authors and analyzing different components of the piece (i.e. shakespeare).

4. rcwha

2+ Year Member

Oh man, are you serious? I thought english 1 was considered english literature. I did a lot of analyzing in that class. I am worried. What should I do? I'm about to graduate.

5. hoss19

hoss19 half iron, half man
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    call the admissions offices of the schools you are applying to and check with them for sure

6. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I didn't know any schools required english literature. My major doesn't require it, so I was going to avoid it. Is it the majority, or just a few schools that require it?

7. Quattro DMD

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Off the top of my head I know NOVA requires English Lit. There are a few, so its in the minority.

8. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'd check to be sure, but I think as long as you have 6 english credits you are fine (doesn't have to be english 101 and english 102 or whatever). Some schools may care, like Maryland. They cashed my check and told me that because I was exempt from English 101 and skipped right to English 201 (and so only had 3 english credits), that I wasn't qualified to apply. My money was good enough for them to take, however.

9. bkoh

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Check with the specific school if you're stuck in that boat. I know some schools are more lenient with their 'english' prerequisite. Some might even take other essay heavy courses ie philosophy