Prerequisite expiration policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ripeorange

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am curious if anyone has any knowledge regarding if dental school prerequisites expire. I have found older forums that had some comments saying the majority of dental schools do not have an expiration date. I only came across one school (UNC) that specifically said no prereq should be older than 5 years thus far. Are there any other schools that have an expiration policy? I took G-Chem back in 2011 and Microbio in 2013. I certainly do not want to retake classes if I do not need to.

Appreciate the help!

Wishing everyone the best of luck with applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi im just curious if you called UNC about it, and see if they're strict on it or not. Took about half the prereqs my freshman year in 2013 so it's kind of sad thinking about taking them all again haha

I imagine if any school had a policy like that it would be from the period of your final pre-req and probably very circumstantial. If any have that in place it is most likely just in case someone made a career change halfway through their life and has not had any experience with bio/chem/etc. in the last 20 years. Are you telling me if someone had their Ph. D. in Biochemistry they would still need to go back and take g-bio/chem/etc. before they were accepted to UNC? No way.
My point: This should probably be the least of your worries

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi im just curious if you called UNC about it, and see if they're strict on it or not. Took about half the prereqs my freshman year in 2013 so it's kind of sad thinking about taking them all again haha

Hey future, I found the info on the UNC website just above the prereq portion about their prereq expiration policies.

Last edited:
I imagine if any school had a policy like that it would be from the period of your final pre-req and probably very circumstantial. If any have that in place it is most likely just in case someone made a career change halfway through their life and has not had any experience with bio/chem/etc. in the last 20 years. Are you telling me if someone had their Ph. D. in Biochemistry they would still need to go back and take g-bio/chem/etc. before they were accepted to UNC? No way.
My point: This should probably be the least of your worries

Thanks again for responding runnerbrah. I thought as much but I was looking at some forums and some said yes you should retake classes that are 5 years old and others said not to. I probably won't worry about it.