Prerequisite, not pre-requisite. Right?

Started by JustCats
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JustCats

UC Davis SVM c/o 2013!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is "pre-requisite" a recently accepted usage? I just noticed that two threads on the first page of the forum now contain a hyphenated spelling of "prerequisite."
 
:shrug:

Pre-req courses? Prereq? Prereq looks strange. So, pre-req... then it becomes a habit.

That's *my* justification, at least. I only typed pre-requisite because... I wasn't sure the person would know what pre-req meant.

And, I think I'm one of the people that's done this. But it's late. So who knows.
 
I love your new avatar. Is that a video you made?

:shrug:

Pre-req courses? Prereq? Prereq looks strange. So, pre-req... then it becomes a habit.

That's *my* justification, at least. I only typed pre-requisite because... I wasn't sure the person would know what pre-req meant.

And, I think I'm one of the people that's done this. But it's late. So who knows.
 
JustCats, I think you're right. When I did medical transcription we were supposed to hyphenate things with adjacent vowels (infero-apical) but not hyphenate things with an adjacent vowel and consonant or adjacent consonants (inferobasal). Then again, the department spelled "provokable" wrong for years, so take that with a grain of salt.

Oh, and I'm totally guilty of saying pre-requisite.