Prerequisite Question

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by forge18, May 10, 2008.

1. forge18

Pre-Podiatry
    **I searched all of the threads for an answer to this and couldn't find one. I apologize if something similar has been brought up before.

Some background first. I was originally a nursing major hopeful and sat on the waiting list for 3 years. My grades are good and I have a good amount of biology classes plus statistics and my english classes out of the way(85 credits currently). I have worked full time in an ER for 5 years. I have always wanted to be a doctor, but didn't think I could afford school. I have since realize that I was wrong in my thinking.

Since I switched to pre-med, I can finish my degree in 5 semesters(15 credits/semester). My problem is that I will be taking Chem 1 in fall '08, Chem 2 in spring '09, Org Chem 1 in summer '09 and Org Chem 2/Biochem in fall '09. Graduation will be in the spring of '10. I have already been studying for the MCAT and have a tutor for organic chem, so I am not worried about getting these in before the MCAT.

If I take the MCAT in April and apply for medical school in May/June, will it be held against me that I don't yet have Org Chem1&2 and Biochem finished? They will be completed before matriculation, but probably not before the interviews. I just want to figure this out before I get too far ahead of myself. Thanks for any help you can give!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. realjara

Medical Student
    I would consider postponing your application for one year for several reasons. What about Physics? Also, the adcom may not give your application as much weight as someone who has completed the prereqs by interview cycle. Consider the cost involved in applying? Is it worth it to rush? Sounds like you have a lot of clinical experience, so I would focus on your coursework and MCAT preparation. What's your gpa like and how are your test prep MCAT scores?

4. forge18

Pre-Podiatry
    Thanks for the advice realjara. Physics will be completed prior to the MCAT. GPA is 3.2, but my science GPA is 3.6. Test prep score is 28. I'm hoping to get it higher after studying more.

Does anyone know how much weight adcom would give on prereqs? Anyone have a similar situation?

5. realjara

Medical Student

I'm really not sure exactly how much "weight" they place on the prereqs, but they do want to see you can handle science courses. You will only be missing a few prereqs at interview time and since your science gpa is 3.6, may be you should apply this cycle. Especially if you can raise your MCAT to above 30. Also, consider applying to osteopathic schools if you want to get in sooner rather than later.

6. forge18

Pre-Podiatry
    My ideal school is DMU or CCOM, so osteopathic is definitely on the list. I'll still apply to the in-state allopathic school too for good measure. Any other tips from anyone?

7. nu2004

Medical Student
    that's an excellent test prep score. i would also recommend taking an additional year and completing the pre-reqs. that way your app will carry equal weight as someone who has completed all the pre-reqs, and it may very well be the case (if you wait until after you've completed your pre-reqs to do the MCAT) that your MCAT score is through the roof.