Prerequisite spreadsheet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ANY2003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a pre-veterinary student who is dating a pre-med student. One thing that really helped me prepare for applications was to know what schools required what specific prerequisites. The Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges publishes a spreadsheet that lists what schools require what prerequisites. For example, some schools require very specific courses like nutrition or a lab in microbiology, whereas others will not require those classes. Does such a spreadsheet exist for medical schools? My bf is trying to figure out what classes to take. He's looked up the requirements for a few schools and they seem to only require a year of bio, chem, ochem, math, and physics (in terms of science requirements). What about courses like microbiology, nutrition, physiology, genetics? Are these not required? I know that most med schools require a Bachelor's degree, so a lot of those courses have to be completed in order to fulfill degree requirements. It just seems so relaxed compared to the strict and many pre-vet requirements so I was a bit confused (but then again, many veterinary programs don't require a BS/BA so maybe that is why there are so many enforced prereqs). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The general requirements for medical school are:

1 year of bio, 1 year of organic, 1 year of general chemistry, 1 year of physics, 1 year of math and 1 year of English. Anything else is recommended but not required.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a 'master' spreadsheet. It would be a handy thing to have.

Here are the typical requirements:

General Biology I-II (Cells, biomolecules, genetics, ecology, evolution, physiology, etc)
General Chemistry I-II
Organic Chemistry I-II
General Physics I-II
English I-II (Composition & Literature)
Math I-II (Statistics & Calculus)
Biochemistry (strongly-suggested or 'required' at many schools) (strongly-suggested for MCAT)
Genetics (strongly-suggested or 'required' at many schools) (strongly-suggested for MCAT)
Intro to Psychology (helpful for 2015 MCAT; some schools require social science units)
Intro to Sociology (helpful for 2015 MCAT; some schools require social science units)

Here are a few more suggestions:

Physiology (strongly-suggested for MCAT)
Cell Biology (suggested for MCAT)
Neuroscience (suggested for MCAT)
Microbiology (suggested for MCAT)
Immunology (take if time permits)
Anatomy (take if time permits)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
VERY helpful everyone, thank you!

There's also MSAR. Up-to-date, accurate, with no gray areas.

It seems that some schools strongly advise that you take Biochemistry. For those schools, would the average applicant be pretty much locked out if Biochem was not taken?
If the rest of the application were sterling, I expect they might be inclined to overlook the lack. Where it's Required, that won't happen. The reason why these requirements/recommendations are there is because the school is teaching the course at a pace where students without previous exposure are having trouble keeping up. You don't want to be one of those who ends up remediating a class or repeating a year due to inadequate performance.

To qualify, one need not complete it prior to application for most schools (there are exceptions) but it would be a good idea to have it listed as Future coursework. Your final transcript prior to matriculation will prove you took it.

How do semesters correspond to the # of quarters?

I.e. if a school requires 2 semesters of math and doesn't accept AP credit, will 2 quarters suffice?