Prerequisites as a career transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

Please forgive me if this is a redundant/annoying post, but I have not found a clear and concise representation of my experience through searching this forum or on SDN.

For those of you who like to cut straight to the point: Is doing prerequisite courses at a community college the kiss of death for a DO application in terms of doing a career transfer? Would high MCAT scores negate this bias?

NOTE: all medical schools I will be applying to state that they accept CC prerequisites. However, as one can imagine, the stigma regarding CC's can be disappointing, hence why I am posting.

For those of you who like more information/more detail:
  1. I am wanting to do my prerequisite courses at a community college due to transportation. (difference between a 15 minute commute and a 1 hour each way commute to do courses at a university)
  2. General anxiety around taking CC courses because:

During my undergraduate years, I D'd the first class in the general chemistry series.

In general, My first 5 quarters of undergraduate were hit and miss for a variety of reasons. However, I found my stride quarter 6 and got myself on the quarterly Dean's List for the 8 quarters (did summer courses) that ended with a 3.22 cumulative. Considering how I was doing horrible my first 5 quarters, I was very relieved to achieve.

Further, I got a master's degree in education following my undergraduate degree and got a 3.7 cumulatively.

I worry that if I choose to do prerequisites at a community college, this could be seen as me wanting something "easier" as I failed a hard science course during my first quarter of my freshman year.

_________________________________________________

Any thoughts on this matter?
 
You'll ideally try to take them elsewhere, but it won't be a kiss of death. I don't know if a high MCAT score will eliminate the bias, but it'll definitely help.
 
You'll ideally try to take them elsewhere, but it won't be a kiss of death. I don't know if a high MCAT score will eliminate the bias, but it'll definitely help.

Thank you for the reply! I was doing a bit of research and I found that by doing a search on the AAMC website for post-bacc programs, a community college in my state popped up as a suggestion. I guess what makes them different than most CC's is that they offer the higher level courses that are equivalent to a nearby university. For example, they have biochemistry, immunology, and molecular biology. Given the rigor of the program, would this be at least a better option than a traditional CC?