Prerequisites: How to do them right the first time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also don't expect to be pampered or carried through the science courses. No, the professors do not have to provide a review session, previous exams, sample exam questions, or even tell you the format in which you will be tested. But, most do. Education is a privilege as much as it is a right; value the opportunity you have of receiving an education.

Members don't see this ad.

Also don't expect to be pampered or carried through the science courses. No, the professors do not have to provide a review session, previous exams, sample exam questions, or even tell you the format in which you will be tested. But, most do. Education is a privilege as much as it is a right; value the opportunity you have of receiving an education.

"What do you mean you put questions on the test that aren't on the study guide, so unfair!!!"

-recently overheard student

Thanks for this thread. Wish I had found it sooner!

Members don't see this ad :)
"What do you mean you put questions on the test that aren't on the study guide, so unfair!!!"

-recently overheard student

Lol that always cracks me up, it typically comes from the students that don't go to class until before the test and the day of.

I really appreciate this thread as school is about to start again soon and I'm starting at a new school. Kudos to the thread starter. :D

My best advice on how to do well in pre-reqs, the first time:

Grow up. Litterally. As in don't be 17 or 18 years old.

It is ok to take some time after HS, go to CC and take a few classes at a time, instead of cramming all the pre-reqs into one year, right out of HS. :)

- Try to finish your assignments the class before it is due, that way if you really have trouble, you will still have a day to talk to your professor. This way they will also remember your name better, and know that you are really trying to do well in their class, so they will write better LORs.

- It is ok to talk to your teachers if you think that you didn't get the points you deserve. I know that alot of people find university professors scary, but it is ok to talk to them about why you missed a question on the exam, or if you think that you didn't get the points you should have, because professors are human too and they make mistakes. Besides it doesn't hurt to ask, they usually do not lower your points, only boast it up. Don't be one of those people that just throws their tests away without seeing where they went wrong. That being said, if you look at it and talk to your prof, they will again...know that you are trying and that those be able to write you a better LOR, and also you will know where you went wrong the first time.
But if you think you got something wrong and they give you extra points, DO NOT POINT THAT OUT...university isn't a time to be a hero, if you get extra points by mistake, take them....

DO NOT USE SITES LIKE RATE MY PROFESSOR

The sad fact of reality is that the most common problem with voluntary satisfaction surveys (which all pharmacists should know about from learning about study design), is that most of the people who respond are people who have a motive to respond. Note, that motive and reason/cause are two different concepts! The result is that people with grudges respond, and most of the people who love the professor don't.

When I was a TA for gen chem, I had horrible scores from my students.
Most common complaints about me - quizzes were too hard, too long, too many questions... But here's the funny thing - the average on the exams (which the professor wrote and I did not see before it was given) was absurdly high in my sections compared to the other sections. Out of 250 total students in non-honors gen chem, I had 30 in my section. Of my 30, 15 placed in the top 10%. Another 8 placed in the next 10%. So either I was non-randomly assigned the scholars of the gen chem or I did my job of teaching well. Not one of the comments for me was positive, yet a year later several students thanked me for teaching them gen chem because it saved their butts in organic when they got there.

So read the comments if you want, but please, don't base your decisions on them.

Agreed, research professors by interviewing current students in person and learning their general reputation. How did I get a 4.0 last semester?

Professor research.

Is that wrong compared to hard work ethic? perhaps... but when it comes time to apply to pharm school, who's in a better position?

...Until the material starts and I don't know **** hahahah.

What a refreshing thread. Nothing but good information...thank you.

The sad fact of reality is that the most common problem with voluntary satisfaction surveys (which all pharmacists should know about from learning about study design), is that most of the people who respond are people who have a motive to respond. Note, that motive and reason/cause are two different concepts! The result is that people with grudges respond, and most of the people who love the professor don't.

When I was a TA for gen chem, I had horrible scores from my students.
Most common complaints about me - quizzes were too hard, too long, too many questions... But here's the funny thing - the average on the exams (which the professor wrote and I did not see before it was given) was absurdly high in my sections compared to the other sections. Out of 250 total students in non-honors gen chem, I had 30 in my section. Of my 30, 15 placed in the top 10%. Another 8 placed in the next 10%. So either I was non-randomly assigned the scholars of the gen chem or I did my job of teaching well. Not one of the comments for me was positive, yet a year later several students thanked me for teaching them gen chem because it saved their butts in organic when they got there.

So read the comments if you want, but please, don't base your decisions on them.

So true, so true. When I took A&P, everyone told me to stay away from the prof that I had. But, after I took the class, I could run circles around the people with the other prof. This has made it easier for me in the higher classes while the people that tried to take it easy are struggling and may not have the grades now to make it into P school.

So true, so true. When I took A&P, everyone told me to stay away from the prof that I had. But, after I took the class, I could run circles around the people with the other prof. This has made it easier for me in the higher classes while the people that tried to take it easy are struggling and may not have the grades now to make it into P school.

I agree but it can be a decent tool if you are trying to get a feel for the courses. Some folks exaggerate a bit and at time blame the professor because the material involved in the course is difficult. I use both RMP and word of mouth to choose professors. Every comment should be taken lightly.

There have been times when even word of mouth can be exaggerated. I remember for BIO2 people told me to stay away from a particular professor because she "gave too much work." Too much work is not a problem. I ended up enjoying the class.

I didn't see this tip.

Take control of your own education from DAY ONE. I went to a general advisor for the first 3 semesters of scheduling, then started scheduling myself. He had no clue - seriously, History of the US to 1877? Useless. Should have picked something that fulfilled multiple requirements (either for the AGEC - Arizona General Education Credits or for a major). Intro to Comp Sci? Yes, I know what Unix is so I get a pass, waste of money & time. No biology or chemistry in these semesters, so it delayed those series even longer.

I trusted that the school advisor had been around the block a couple times so he'd fill me up with good courses if I told him what I wanted to be when I grew up. Not so - counter productive. Also, there was a huge hassle with my graduation paperwork for my AS, and if I hadn't been proactive, it would have been done with a lower GPA than I earned. I'm sure most institutions are not this way, but it still pays to educate yourself about your education (please excuse the glib turn of phrase). That way you make sure you end up where you want, when you want.

I didn't see this tip.

Take control of your own education from DAY ONE. I went to a general advisor for the first 3 semesters of scheduling, then started scheduling myself. He had no clue - seriously, History of the US to 1877? Useless. Should have picked something that fulfilled multiple requirements (either for the AGEC - Arizona General Education Credits or for a major). Intro to Comp Sci? Yes, I know what Unix is so I get a pass, waste of money & time. No biology or chemistry in these semesters, so it delayed those series even longer.

I trusted that the school advisor had been around the block a couple times so he'd fill me up with good courses if I told him what I wanted to be when I grew up. Not so - counter productive. Also, there was a huge hassle with my graduation paperwork for my AS, and if I hadn't been proactive, it would have been done with a lower GPA than I earned. I'm sure most institutions are not this way, but it still pays to educate yourself about your education (please excuse the glib turn of phrase). That way you make sure you end up where you want, when you want.

:thumbup: - Great advice. Learn the part of your schools catalog forward and backward. Unless you have an advisor dedicated to only one kind of degree, you can have what is above happen to you.

Luckily my advisor is also my Organic Prof and all he advises is people trying to do prereqs and transferring to P school. He knows all the close public school deans and keeps in touch with them so he knows what are the right and wrong classes to take.

My experience with general advisers is completely different from those that belong to the science/math department. Actually, some general advisers actually scare people by telling them they can't handle certain classes together.

Finding the right adviser or contacting your future schools and finding out what they need for pre-reqs will be your best bet.

I have found rate my professor to be surprisingly spot on and very useful. I based a lot of my choices of profs on the ratings and it seemed to be pretty consistent (for the most part). I think there were a few times where it just turned out the prof demanded a lot more in one particular class than another prof did. Sometimes I just got stuck because I was limited to evening classes since I worked during the day.

I have found rate my professor to be surprisingly spot on and very useful. I based a lot of my choices of profs on the ratings and it seemed to be pretty consistent (for the most part). I think there were a few times where it just turned out the prof demanded a lot more in one particular class than another prof did. Sometimes I just got stuck because I was limited to evening classes since I worked during the day.

QFT

The problem is when the sample size is low. But if the professor has dozens or hundreds of reviews, I found it very accurate. Selection bias applies somewhat, but the same can be said for asking around campus, the only difference is that if you ask around campus you might get what, 10 people's opinions? RMP can have hundreds.

Of course anything you read on RMP (or anywhere online) should be confirmed IRL, but as a tool RMP is fantastic.

Glad i found the thread.Bumps for the founder