Prerequisites requirements for OAT

Started by cassey ho
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cassey ho

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why Prerequisites from each school + classes to take to prepare for OAT contradict to one another ?
For example: the Optometry school requirement is one semester of Organic and one semester of Biochemistry . However, you can not take the Biochemistry class until you finish the second semester of Organic. Besides, the OAT seems to require a full year of ORganic Chem anyway. Can someone comment on this ?
 
I ran into that problem at my undergrad too. Luckily SCO lets you take molecular bio instead of biochem. I took both semesters of ochem anyways because that second semester is helpful on the OAT and I think SCO might require both semesters? I don't remember. But some schools do require organic 1 and 2.
 
Not all schools require you to take 2 semesters of Organic before you can take biochemistry. I would recommend taking the second semester of organic chem though, since I clearly remember questions on the OAT that were from the second semester of my Organic class. So if you want to be at your best writing the OAT, I would suggest writing it after you have taken organic 2.