Prerequisites requirements for OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cassey ho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why Prerequisites from each school + classes to take to prepare for OAT contradict to one another ?
For example: the Optometry school requirement is one semester of Organic and one semester of Biochemistry . However, you can not take the Biochemistry class until you finish the second semester of Organic. Besides, the OAT seems to require a full year of ORganic Chem anyway. Can someone comment on this ?

Members don't see this ad.

I ran into that problem at my undergrad too. Luckily SCO lets you take molecular bio instead of biochem. I took both semesters of ochem anyways because that second semester is helpful on the OAT and I think SCO might require both semesters? I don't remember. But some schools do require organic 1 and 2.

Not all schools require you to take 2 semesters of Organic before you can take biochemistry. I would recommend taking the second semester of organic chem though, since I clearly remember questions on the OAT that were from the second semester of my Organic class. So if you want to be at your best writing the OAT, I would suggest writing it after you have taken organic 2.