Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedPreDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

For scheduling reasons, I won't have all my prereqs completed by this summer before my senior year. I have a few questions.

(1) I never took physics I, but rather went right to Physics II. Does this somehow satisfy two semesters of physics? Do I need to go back and take Physics I? Physics III?

(2) I have physics II, and a 1-credit physics seminar. Is physics prerequisite complete?

(3) I was not able to register for Chemistry II due to scheduling. I therefore cannot take orgo I or II. If I ace DAT Gen Chem and DAT Orgo, will I stand a chance for admissions this year? (My dad is an orgo professor ;) )

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

1. No, you need two full semesters (although a few schools will accept just one semester of physics).

2. No, other than for the few schools that will accept just one semester of physics.

3. As long as ALL your prerequisites are done by the end of your senior year, that shouldn't matter.

Unless your dad takes the DAT for your, it might be a challenge to "ace" the OC section of the test.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How should I tell dental schools that I will be completing the other prereqs during my senior year?

How should I tell dental schools that I will be completing the other prereqs during my senior year?
On your application... Planned coursework. I would think it would be difficult for ADCOMs to make a decision on you if you don't have the pre-reqs done...

On your application... Planned coursework. I would think it would be difficult for ADCOMs to make a decision on you if you don't have the pre-reqs done...
Precisely. A minor detail often overlooked in our overzealous quest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So if I have a 3.7 GPA at the time of submitting my application, completed all prereqs but OChem and Physics (1 semester, Physics II), and score well on the DAT, would I have a good chance?

So if I have a 3.7 GPA at the time of submitting my application, completed all prereqs but OChem and Physics (1 semester, Physics II), and score well on the DAT, would I have a good chance?
The big if.

The big if.
No idea. Do some research on here and find out. I'm pretty sure everyone on here has all the pre-req's done at time of application submission, and are just working on upper division coursework. Ochem is pretty important, and you should probably take the entire year before you take the DAT. Too many if's in my opinion.