Prerequisites

Started by medtechv79
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medtechv79

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I was wondering, I plan on taking some pre-reqs at a four year university called Hood college because it fits my schedule better. (I work full time in a vet diagnostic lab). I was wondering to all you pre-vets and those already in vet school or already vets do vet schools give alot of weight to exactly where you take your pre-reqs? I already have a bachelors degree and my GPA is below a 3.0. I have the option of taking it at Univ of MD or Hood college. What would you guys suggest? I am partial to UMD mostly b/c ranking wise its in the top 60. Hood college is like a 2nd tier school I think? Does it matter? As long as it is a 4 year college am I ok?
Thanks alot guys for your advice!
 
From my experience it depends A LOT on the schools you will be applying to.

Are you a Maryland resident? If this is the case VA-MD would be your "in-state" (actually not in your state at all) school. I'm a VA resident and my experience working with them has shown me that they do NOT care where you took your pre-reqs. If this was the only school you are considering (I wouldn't reccommend this option - more to come) I'd say go for Hood.

However, VA-MD also places a huge emphasis on GPA and because you said that your undergrad GPA was below a 3.0 I would suggest applying to a selection of schools, especially schools that look at the applicant as a big picture instead of a collection of numbers. Now these schools WILL care where you took your pre-reqs and what your course load was, what you were doing at the time, etc. In this situation you might lean toward UMD. You also might want to consider taking a full load (I don't know what your financial situation is, so might not be an option) or a masters program to really boost your GPA and show schools that you can be academically competative in vet school.

Really it's a toss up and depends a lot on where you plan to apply.
 
mokadet said:
From my experience it depends A LOT on the schools you will be applying to.

Are you a Maryland resident? If this is the case VA-MD would be your "in-state" (actually not in your state at all) school. I'm a VA resident and my experience working with them has shown me that they do NOT care where you took your pre-reqs. If this was the only school you are considering (I wouldn't reccommend this option - more to come) I'd say go for Hood.

However, VA-MD also places a huge emphasis on GPA and because you said that your undergrad GPA was below a 3.0 I would suggest applying to a selection of schools, especially schools that look at the applicant as a big picture instead of a collection of numbers. Now these schools WILL care where you took your pre-reqs and what your course load was, what you were doing at the time, etc. In this situation you might lean toward UMD. You also might want to consider taking a full load (I don't know what your financial situation is, so might not be an option) or a masters program to really boost your GPA and show schools that you can be academically competative in vet school.

Really it's a toss up and depends a lot on where you plan to apply.


Thanks Mokadet! Well, financially I don't think I can really do a full course load at this time. I need to work full time to pay bills. You know how that is. But I did look at the UMD schedule and alot of their classes don't totally fit my work schedule. So we'll see. I guess I'll think more about it. I do want to apply to VA-MD but you are right, I need to apply to a broader range of schools....b/c of my GPA. I'll research some more and decide. thanks for your advice!