Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dor940

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before applying to pharmacy schools, should I have all of my prerequisites finished or can I still take some after I applied to pharmacy schools or pharmcas.

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply during the time you are taking your prereqs. As long as you finish your classes before matriculation into your accepted pharmacy school, then you're good. However, some think it is better to have completed at least some of your higher-level classes (Organic I, Calculus, A&P) before applying. Also, some schools allow students to take classes during the summer before admission, and other don't...so look into your desired schools to find out more info.

Hope that helps!

Before applying to pharmacy schools, should I have all of my prerequisites finished or can I still take some after I applied to pharmacy schools or pharmcas.

If you have extremely good grades and high pcat scores(>80), then I recommend you apply before you finish all your prerequisite classes.

Other than that, its only to your benefit to have an undergraduate degree, finish all your prereqs, and get a high pcat score first.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I have talked with pharmacy students who were able to get in only after 2 or 3 years without their undergrad degree. One of them had a 3.5 and a low 70s PCAT, which are good stats, but not extremely impressive.

There are other factors that contribute to acceptance. Pharmacy experience is a big one, but having good LORs (letters of recommendation) and taking part in extracurriculars can look really good too.

No matter what, it's good to apply just to see if you can get in. If not, then apply the next year...schools love seeing re-applicants because it shows their desire to go to that particular program.

I agree with Transformer. I think they regard you as a stronger applicant if you have all of your prerequisites completed before applying.