SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Presby Manual

Discussion in 'Podiatry Students' started by pod2008, Apr 23, 2007.

1. pod2008

pod2008

Apr 23, 2007
    I was told that the Presby manual was a good study aid for Boards Part II, but I called the Presby program and Temple and they couldn't provide me with one. If there is anyone who has an extra copy available, I am willing to pay for it (within reason, of course). Thank you.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dpmgrad

dpmgrad Senior Member Podiatrist 10+ Year Member

May 17, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I am not sure what school you attend. However, most of your upper classmen will know how to get access to a copy of the Presby manual. If you are a TUSPM student, you should already know where to get a copy of Presby manual or any other manuals (Residency Review Manual from Scholl, etc...). If you don't know anyone in your school that has a copy, just send me a private message and will get a copy to you.

4. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Clarkston, MI
    Yep... we got it and Hershey from upperclassmen. I haven't picked mine up yet, but I'd be glad to copy and mail it to you for the cost of copies & media mail when I get it also. If you keep looking, some current 3rd and 4th years at your school should have it so you can get it sooner, though.

Residency Review manual is the one I'm having more trouble tracking down...

5. dpmgrad

May 17, 2005
    Philadelphia

The Hershey manual is now updated annually. The latest version of the Hershey manual (2007) is now written in outline format instead of full text format.

I am not sure if the Residency Review Manual from Scholl have been updated or not. Usually, you can get a copy from the Scholl students, when you run across one during your externship. I got my copy when I externed at Yale from the original authors of the Residency Review Manual. The authors are Scholl graduates and also graduates of the Yale residency program. If you have a hard time getting one, just private message me and I will try to get you a copy. The copy that I have is from 2001.

6. Kamran654

Kamran654 Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Give me an email address and will email you a copy of it..

-Kamran

7. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest 10+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Iowa
    Of what the new Hershey or the Presby? What edition do you have?

8. dpmgrad2

dpmgrad2

May 14, 2007
    Kamran,

would you please send a copy to me also... I sure can use it.

Thanks a million

9. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Clarkston, MI
    Just a word to the wise: your username might step on a few toes or cause unecessary confusion.

...What's next "Dr_Feelgood 2.0"? :D

10. presby

presby Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2006
    The Presby Manual reflects ten years of hard work of multiple surgical residents that have gone through the program and wanted to provide an accurate/representative residency review manual at that time. Obtaining it worked (and was supposed to continue to work) this way: We (the residents) provided a service to PCPM/TUSPM by putting on a day of mock interviews and part of that process involved receiving the manual. Students began not wanting to put in the effort to prepare for mock interviews and wanted just the manual instead. Then copies got to local printing services in the area (one in particular) and they began selling the manual at a marked price making money off of the hours of effort put forth to produce the manual - and at our program, we do not have free time. Some of the "review manuals" subsequently put out were poor regurgitations of the Presby Manual, some even with residents at other programs trying to take credit for sections they "wrote" but are pure plagiarisms of our manual.

11. Dr_Feelgood

Feb 16, 2006
    Iowa
    Interesting comments :thumbup: . To play devil's advocate, did you and your colleagues want the manual to stay only with TUSPM students? If the answer is no, why didn't you try to find a publisher for the manual?

12. dpmgrad

May 17, 2005
    Philadelphia
    As presby already pointed out, the Presby Manual was part of a project that Presbyterian Podatric Residency Program did for TUSPM. As already stated, Presby used to hold mock interviews to help the students prepare for the upcoming residency interviews and the students would receive thePresby manual during the mock interviews. I think that it was Presby's way of giving something back to TUSPM students. The attendings at Presby used to be professors at TUSPM before TUSPM was merged back into the Temple system. When TUSPM became part of Temple, the attendings at Presby were given an option to either stay with Univ of Penn Health System or with Temple University Health Systems. The attendings that stayed with Univ of Penn Health System are now some of the existing attendings at Presby. The attendings that joined the Temple University Health System decided to create a new 4 year surgical residency program at Temple University. Hence, you have two 4 year surgical residency program. Today, the Temple Residency Program offers mock interviews to the TUSPM students and have created a separate Temple Residency Review Manual, which is given to the TUSPM students now.

I think that my class was the last class that Presby held mock interviews for the TUSPM students. During my year, they did advertised to other Podiatry schools and recalled some NYCPM and OCPM students showing up for the mock interviews as well. Presby perhaps can comment or correct me on this. I think that the Presby Manual was meant to be distributed to the students who made an effort to participate in the mock interviews. Presby Manual was not intended to be mass produced nationally.

13. Dr_Feelgood

Feb 16, 2006
    Iowa
    Thanks for the comments.

14. presby

presby Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Correct, we never intended on mass producing the manual nor really making money off of it. The price we charged was basically just to cover printing costs and certainly the goal was to try to share knowledge with and prepare students for not just our interview process but general residency interviews. The way the manual was abused combined with time limitations have prevented us from revising it.

15. lojick

lojick 2+ Year Member

Aug 5, 2007
    philly
    does anyone have electronic copies of the presby manual (or any other manual) that is willing to share. it would be greatly appreciated. thanx