Prescribing Rx In Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Oilersfan69

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering how the provinces in Canada compare in terms of what you can prescribe for medication? Oral/topical/etc.? This came up in my interview at PCO and I b.s. it pretty good lol. I still don't really know.. can someone clarify for me?
 
Different for each province. I'm from Saskatchewan and ODs here can prescribe medicines that fall under the categories:

Topical anti-inflammatory
Topical steroids
Topical anti-allergy

...that's it.
 
I jus talked to an Optometrist yesterday and he told me that Alberta allows everything except orals... but even orals are soon going to be allowed by the government so thats great news
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
where can i find to see if optometrist are allowed to prescribe drugs in canada?
 
Anyone know where I can find an updated Optometry act? The ones I find are from 2006, is that the latest?