Prescription writing for PAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of checking out PA schools. Can PAs write prescriptions.

Also, are there states where PAs cannot practice?

I first was exposed to the PA profession back 3 years ago. I was trying to get into see my MD(Vanderbilt grad) and could never get an appointment that fit my schedule or he was off this day. Well, he had a PA working in his office. So I got an appointment with the PA. The PA was more hands on, talked to me more, and actually touched me. The MD sat across the room with his arms folded and just listened and was about as talkative as a dead person.

I had a very interesting conversation with a physiatrist(rehab medicine DO) the other day. I work as a physical therapist and I was working with a patient that he was reviewing for a possible rehab admission.

I told him I was applying to PA school and I ask him if he would use a PA. He replied, yes, especially with your background(PT). He said it would free him up to see more outpatients and I could handle the inpatients.

Just thought I would share that with everyone since it seems alot of people applying to PA school have previous healthcare experience.

I would appreciate any responses to my questions.

Thanks,

FuturePA

Members don't see this ad.

PA'S can write prescriptions and practice in all 50 states and all u.s. territories also overseas with us government agencies.
also england, holland, and canada are starting pa programs which will probably allow for reciprocity in the future.
check out www.aapa.org for more info on the pa profession. good luck

Thanks emedpa, I am glad to hear that. Yes, I just checked out aapa.org. Thanks again. FuturePA

PA's can now practice in all 50 states, DC, and in federal service...but can only write scripts in 47 of 50 states.

The AAPA has a digest of each states' practice policies on their site.