prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sulfinator

Pathology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but can/do most pathologists write Rx's?

Members don't see this ad.

In my state, I can write prescriptions as I am licensed as a "physician and surgeon" like all the other "real" doctors. However, since I don't have a DEA number, most insurance companies, who track prescriptions by the ordering physician's DEA number, won't pay for prescriptions I write.

This may sound like a dumb question, but can/do most pathologists write Rx's?

as i understand it, you have to have a DEA # to write for narcotics - I believe that includes opioids, but i'm not sure what else (benzos? muscle relaxants? stimulants?). so while a pathologist could write an Rx for something like cipro for a friend with a walking pneumonia, it's probably not a good idea. if anything were to go wrong, the liability the pathologist would be facing would be ugly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that dentists can't prescribe outside of what they're supposed to use in practice, ie if I need some steroid cream or muscle relaxants, I have to go hit up my DO uncle.

In my state, I can write prescriptions as I am licensed as a "physician and surgeon" like all the other "real" doctors. However, since I don't have a DEA number, most insurance companies, who track prescriptions by the ordering physician's DEA number, won't pay for prescriptions I write.

Can pathologists obtain a DEA number? Really what I'm getting at here is this: as pathologist, would I definitely be limited in what I could prescribe to my family members(regardless of whether or not I would prescribe instead of requesting a consultation with another physician)?

Can pathologists obtain a DEA number? Really what I'm getting at here is this: as pathologist, would I definitely be limited in what I could prescribe to my family members(regardless of whether or not I would prescribe instead of requesting a consultation with another physician)?

Pathologists can certainly obtain DEA numbers, but what you'll find is that the thrill of being the go-to for medications quickly wears off. Honestly, do you really want your brother-in-law hitting your up for Lortab?

Pathologists can certainly obtain DEA numbers, but what you'll find is that the thrill of being the go-to for medications quickly wears off. Honestly, do you really want your brother-in-law hitting your up for Lortab?
Bingo. More often than not, I am glad to have an excuse to not write a prescription.

Im getting mine
It would be usefull to have a DEA just for little crap like allergy meds antibiotics and simple stuff for you kids ect
beats wasting time setting up and waiting for an appointment when you know exactly what to do and what to write for. But i woulnt start writing for freinds or extended family, that could be trouble

Im getting mine
It would be usefull to have a DEA just for little crap like allergy meds antibiotics and simple stuff for you kids

You only need the DEA number if you want insurance to pay. Some of the simple stuff is dirt cheap.

Im getting mine
It would be usefull to have a DEA just for little crap like allergy meds antibiotics and simple stuff for you kids ect
beats wasting time setting up and waiting for an appointment when you know exactly what to do and what to write for. But i woulnt start writing for freinds or extended family, that could be trouble

I have prescribed a few z-pacs for friends and myself as well as ambien for a friend who was taking a 5 day trip to India for work. All of the scrips were phoned in and all I had to have was a DEA number. No big deal.