Prescriptive Authority - APA Grad Student Fact Sheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edieb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following link is cogent in regards to prescriptive authority for clinical psychologists. Being a 3rd year clinical PhD student in Louisiana, a state that just passed RxP, I am seeing so many exciting things happening in the psychology department: pre-doctoral training courses so students can prescribe when they leave graduate school (starting Fall '05), seeing the haughtiness disappear from the M.D.'s faces who used their script pad as a sign of their superiority, laws being enacted that allow for one patient to see one professional for all their mental health care (i.e., testing, psychotherapy, meds). I hope you'll read the below posted link:

http://www.apa.org/apags/profdev/prespriv.html

Members don't see this ad.

edieb said:
The following link is cogent in regards to prescriptive authority for clinical psychologists. Being a 3rd year clinical PhD student in Louisiana, a state that just passed RxP, I am seeing so many exciting things happening in the psychology department: pre-doctoral training courses so students can prescribe when they leave graduate school (starting Fall '05), seeing the haughtiness disappear from the M.D.'s faces who used their script pad as a sign of their superiority, laws being enacted that allow for one patient to see one professional for all their mental health care (i.e., testing, psychotherapy, meds). I hope you'll read the below posted link:

Welcome to SDN! Would you mind sharing with us specifics regarding your experience as a budding psychologist in Louisiana? What types of predoctoral courses are you taking to prepare for Rx training? Is your program incorporating pharmacotherapy practica into the clinical psychology curriculum? What is the process in place for students such as yourself to acquire prescription privileges? I would imagine that you're still required to complete one of the MS in Clinical Psychopharmacology programs?

edieb said:

Greetings

I am glade to see more and more states become more pro RXP and pass legislation to that effect. Personally, I cannot wait until the state where I reside (Florida) to gain RXP.

Good luck on your studies and prescription rights.

Hi,

Being the APA Graduate Student Chair in LA and interacting first-hand with the members of the DoD (Dept. of Defense), LPA, and APA in lobbying to gain passage of this bill, I was fortunate enough to gain a unique perspective on this issue and the steps necessary to bring about its advent in a state legislature. It is really, really important that all graduate students join Division 55 (Advancement for Pharmacotherapy). It is on the path to becoming the largest division of the APA (operationally defined as having the most members). The larger the division is, the more votes it has on the APA Board of Governance. The Board of Governance directly appropriates the money to be spent on new legislation. Without the immense amount of money granted by the APA and the huge lobbying effort done by all the psychologists and psych grad students, the bill would not have passed. The link to join Division 55 is:

http://www.apa.org/about/division/div55.html

Please pass it on to fellow grad students and get them to join. Also, join your state psychological association and become involved in lobbying for RxP. Getting involved with your state psych ass'n also lets you network with other psychologists, so when you get out of grad school, you have some connections!!! Florida's turn is coming in Fall '04.

The course are in-place are HMP (History and Medical Physical Examination). We learn how-to give physical examinations (using a stethoscope, et cetera). Pathophysiology, Neuorchemistry, and Clinical Pharmacology I and II are also in-place. The courses are to-be offered Fall 05 in a pre-doctoral sequence and are tuition free and optional (I guess the APA wants to train as many clinicans to prescribe as possible; offering free courses definitely works!)

Please join your SPS and Div 55!