Presentations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUSB777

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the only thing I am somewhat nervous about is presenting in front of big groups. How often will you have to speak in front of the class for an extended amount of time? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Frequently. We were required to give numerous presentations in front of our class. So many that I lost count a long time ago. The time spent presenting as an individual ranged from approx. 5-30 minutes, depending on the course and assignment.

Everyone gets nervous. The beauty of doing a million presentations in PT school is that your nerves settle. After the 10th time speaking in front of your class, it's not a huge deal anymore.

All the time. I make sure that I know all of the materials and subject matter that the group knows, regardless of my own section. That way I can wing it and not get caught up in words. IMO that's how it's suppose to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! would you say the majority of the presentations are group style or individual?

During the last week of my first semester I had three presentations in one day haha. I don't like public speaking at all, but it was a little easier since we were in groups. Also I feel like, depending on the topic, the only person really paying attention is the teacher.

We did 2 group presentations in the first semester. It was 15 minutes for one (about 2-3 minutes by yourself) and 30 minutes for the other (so 5-6 minutes by yourself). I was confident for the first one but kept saying "Uhm" and looking at the powerpoint even though I knew the information and had practiced a couple times.

I just winged the 2nd longer presentation and did much better.

It gets easier over time. Most of us got nervous, even the people that always seem super confident had some shaky hands. You'll get used to your classmates and it won't be so bad. :) Try to speak up in class more, if you want to get used to speaking in front of everyone. That really helped me!

Sounds like I don't have too much too worry about! I'm not terrible at presenting I just don't like doing it :dead:

Very helpful input, thank you all!

Mostly group based...but yes the unending sessions of getting together with classmates to prepare presentations is definitely one of the more onerous aspects of PT school...you'll be giving a million of them in front of the same old people that you are with day in and day out anyway though, so your nerves will settle quickly.

You will have to give many presentations. In the first semester I think I gave 4-5. This semester we will probably give 8 or so. I'm a natural introvert so public speaking definitely doesn't come naturally, but I've found there are essentially three keys to giving good presentations.

1. Knowing the material frontwards/backwards/upside down.
2. Having a set outline/progression for your presentation. Even if you know everything there is to know about what you are presenting, if it is not properly organized you can loose your place/get disorganized and it all gets jumbled up. Use note cards, a piece of paper, whatever.
3. Practice out loud, even if it's in the shower or to your dog (my preferred method.)

In essence preparation and confidence.

In undergrad I usually just winged it and did well enough on tests to the point I didn't really care about speeches/presentations because I didn't really like giving them in the first place. But, if you want to be a good PT you will have to be able to teach/educate/explain to patients/families/colleagues, so you might as well work on your communication skills now. For most people public speaking is an acquired skill set. All you have to do is make sure you put in the effort and it will get easier with time.

I know we are talking about PT, but as you advance in any profession, sooner or later you will be required to speak publicly and communicate ideas/teach.

BTW. We've had professors who have been teaching for 20yrs who have stated they still get nervous when teaching, so you are definitely not alone:)

Reactions: 1 user
Very helpful! thank you! I am a full time softball coach so I have to speak in front of large groups all the time, I am hoping this will help my ability to be confident talking about material I know very little about!! :shrug:Thank you all again, I will be using your advice :claps:

I think it depends on the program you're in. In the 2.5 years of school, I think I had to speak in front of a large group 10x during class. I was a board member of our student association so I had to speak a few times there. I think after death, public speaking is the biggest fear people have. That's amazing. My advice:

-Prepare and practice
-Record yourself
-Keep in mind that your classmates want you to do well
-The focus of the presentation is the material, not you