Presenting on Rounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tvelocity514

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me an idea of how to do a presentation (assuming on rounds) please? It's my first day of M3 year and I have to give a 5 minute presentation on aortic dissections tomorrow (especially type A). It's what a patient of ours had.

Because it's my first day, I've never seen a presentation given before. I was also given 2 patients of my own and have had to present them already.

Should I find the most updated journal article and print it off for my team for it? Is it all verbal? Do I relate it to my patient at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

So you're talking about two different types of presentations. The first one about aortic dissections is an informative presentation. When I've had to do these types of presentations, I've just looked stuff up on uptodate beforehand and verbally presented it to the team (with notes for reference). This could vary at different schools or on different services, but I'd say it's a safe bet to do if this way.

As for presenting your patients, you do this in SOAP format. Subjective includes any changes in the notes from overnight + what you learn from the patient on pre-rounding. Objective includes vitals, labs, imaging, medications, and your physical exam from that morning. Assessment is a brief statement including the patient's name, age, and a short statement about why they're there. Plan is what you're going to do for them. This will be the hardest at the start, but residents can help.

Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user
As a basic framework that worked okay for me, you can use the "Down In Estonia Poor People Drink Wine (in) Tin Cans" mnemonic to at least get you started.

Definition, Incidence, Etiology, Physiology/Pathophysiology, Presentation, Differential, Workup, Treatment, Complications.

My experience is that when they say 5 minutes, they really mean 5 minutes, so really you're not looking at a lot of information here. Use that mnemonic to guide you and you will hit all the high points. You can tailor the talk with your patient in mind if you wish.

Most of my presentations have been verbal, but on a few occasions they've been powerpoint, but even from what you said here I would say that tomorrow they would be expecting a verbal presentation. It's not completely unheard of to print out an article to hand out.

Lastly, don't freak out! Use this opportunity to learn about a problem that your patient has, and do your best.

Can someone give me an idea of how to do a presentation (assuming on rounds) please? It's my first day of M3 year and I have to give a 5 minute presentation on aortic dissections tomorrow (especially type A). It's what a patient of ours had.

Because it's my first day, I've never seen a presentation given before. I was also given 2 patients of my own and have had to present them already.

Should I find the most updated journal article and print it off for my team for it? Is it all verbal? Do I relate it to my patient at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're an MS3 and never given a case presentation before????

Reactions: 1 user
For topic presentations:
1) find article/up to date review article
2) print it or just write up a quick bullet point-type thing hitting the high points for background information, presentation, workup, management, and prognosis. Shouldn't be long, and doubles as a handout if your team requests them.
3) win.
Bonus: save your little write ups. As you go throughout the year, if you are called on to do an unspecified topic presentation...you've got a few up your sleeve.

For patient presentations:
1) be concise but thorough.
2) typically goes something like

Major 24 hour events
Spiked a fever, consult service saw the patient, etc.

Subjective
How the patient's feeling this AM - e.g. "Pt feels well with no complaints" is fine if that's true - don't wax on about every little thing the patient and you talked about if it's not relevant. If you're not sure, try asking a resident beforehand. This is a big picture thing.

Objective
Vitals - it helps if you present them in an intuitive order, like temp/BP/HR/RR/O2 sats. Some people want ranges with an average at the beginning; usually you can just say "within normal limits overnight" or "stable" (stable does not mean normal, btw). Includes ins/outs if relevant.
Physical exam: can just say "unremarkable" if the patient is known to everyone - otherwise, at least mention appearance/heart/lungs/belly + any relevant things. Don't make stuff up here. Just don't.
Labs: While they may want you to initially, you shouldn't be reading off endless amounts of normal values unless they are relevant. Err on the side of including things, but the goal is for you to recognize what's important and what's not.
New imaging/micro stuff over the past 24 hours: Don't talk about the MRI they got four days ago, unless it's relevant or you have a new attending on the service that day, etc.

Assessment/plan
Some people want a brief one liner ("Mr. Jones is a 68 yo male with relevant pmhx of COPD, HTN, DM who presented with three days of worsening cough and increasing shortness of breath most c/w COPD exacerbation") followed by a problems-based plan (e.g. COPD: continue home symbicort, duonebs q6 hours, wean off nasal cannula, etc. DM: sliding scale A while in house, accuchecks, etc.) while others (usually in the ICU setting) want a systems-based plan (address things for neuro, cardiovascular, pulm, etc).

3) treat it like a speech. Go over it in your mind before hand and make sure you can rattle most of it off without reading it. It's fine to read off vitals, labs, or cue yourself for random things on the exam, but try your best to not read off your presentation.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone! Your tips have been super helpful! I think my initial statement might have been confusing. I am comfortable giving case presentations (on the patient). I was asked to give a 5 min presentation on aortic dissections during rounds tomorrow but I've never seen anyone do it before so I didn't know if they brought in journal articles for the rounding team etc. thanks @Mountaineer12 @togaedere @eefen for the great advice!! I found 2 of the most recent articles on it and will hand them out to my team for them to look at while I discuss the most recent info on it. Thank you for all of the help!!

You're an MS3 and never given a case presentation before????
OP just started MS3. I hadn't presented a patient before I started MS3. Some schools must do things differently. It's a quickly acquired skill so no one should feel bad about not knowing how to do it prior to MS3.

Reactions: 4 users
Must be an accelerated schedule. Kinda weird to start MS3 in early May.

I was starting on the wards about a year ago today. But my school has recently changed their schedule so the incoming MS3's get extra step studying/break time. Lucky bastards. Although we will graduate earlier (mid-April), so I guess it's a tradeoff.

Quick pointer: A/P is the most important part, your grade is usually based on the thought process that you demonstrate. Give a fairly wide differential in a system based manner and be able to say what you think it is and isn't based on the pertinent points in your S+O. For your plans you always want to be able to justify what you want to do. It sounds so much better to say something like "As per AAP guidelines we will start XXX drug for moderate persistent asthma" than saying "we are going to start XXX drug".

It's difficult to do at first, but as long as you are showing that you are thinking things through it usually leaves a good impression. The exception is probably surgery, although even there its good to demonstrate a differential/thought process (just with very few words)

Reactions: 2 users