Pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpikeyMike83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep getting a lot of pressure from my mom, and a fellow colleague of hers who's son was accepted to MCG last year to re-take the DAT.

I know my scores aren't the greatest, and a lot of you guys have better scores than me. I wanted to re-take it, but now I just want to relax for the last two weeks of summer instead of cram for the DAT again and schedule a test time (hah) around school.

Anyone have any advice for me? You guys are usually good at keeping me from flipping out.

Members don't see this ad.

18 is a bad DAT score ?

I know 21 's are SDN avg .. but in reality I dont think 18 is bad.

i didn't think 18 was bad. i thought it was average. but my mom is a pessimist about everything and i'm getting really tired of her telling me to take it again, and basically that i have a good chance at not getting in.

i'm not dumb. i know there is 1 dental school in georgia, and that out of state schools are hard to get into. believe me, i've played the scenario many times in my head as to what i'll do if i don't get in somewhere. its just so frustrating.

Your stats are good, and I think it's really a toss up as to take it again or not. What did you get on each section?

I can tell you your chances at UF are slim, as they accept a max of 10% out of ~80 from out of state, and this number they said is more like 3-5. Check this out
http://www.dental.ufl.edu/Offices/Admissions/DMD/Class_profiles.html
Remember, those are averages and for the out-of-staters their numbers are going to be higher. Of course, I would apply to UFCD regardless in your situation.

I think youre good at Nova, if not right on Dec 1 then later in the winter. Maybe apply to a few more private schools like Case and BU. Also, you could call your top schools and see what they suggest. best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... I'll look at Case and BU.

PAT- 19
RC- 19
OChem- 17
GChem- 16 (the kicker...)
QR- 17
BIO- 21

my top school is MCG because its in state, and i know people that go there that thoroughly enjoyed it. The admissions director said it was a toss-up as well. She said they'd had some 20-23, but also a good number of 11-14 scores already this year... so who knows.

Obviously everything is solid except for your Organic and general. I would've liked your bio score. Those two sections would be the easiest to bring up as they encompass far less material than biology. How're your grades in college for Ochem and gen chem?

Gen Chem 1 = A
Gen Chem 2 = B
Ochem 1= C
Honors Ochem 1= A
Ochem 2 = C

so, eh... not so hot. but I did retake ochem 1.

SpikeyMike83 said:
Gen Chem 1 = A
Gen Chem 2 = B
Ochem 1= C
Honors Ochem 1= A
Ochem 2 = C

so, eh... not so hot. but I did retake ochem 1.

Dude I know you may want to hear this, but retaking it could be an option. However I would say you're on the border b.w retake or not, so tough decision. I'm sure MCG is fairly competitive so higher DAT obviously could secure your seat, the way it is now I'd say it's a toin coss. Someone from MCG can probly tell you better. However, only retake it if youre going to raise the scores. Your grades for this semester wont matter too much as the school will have already decided your fate before the semester ends. You could blow out the DAT, and take it easy during school.

mg777 said:
Dude I know you may want to hear this, but retaking it could be an option. However I would say you're on the border b.w retake or not, so tough decision. I'm sure MCG is fairly competitive so higher DAT obviously could secure your seat, the way it is now I'd say it's a toin coss. Someone from MCG can probly tell you better. However, only retake it if youre going to raise the scores. Your grades for this semester wont matter too much as the school will have already decided your fate before the semester ends. You could blow out the DAT, and take it easy during school.

I think mg777 is right on the money as far as calling the school and asking their opinion. My friend did just that and was able to form a relationship with one of the people on the admissions committee. Call them up & let them know your situation & that their school is your #1 choice. They might tell you to take it again, but it would probably be more reassuring to hear it from someone who works for admissions at MCG. Hey mg777 do you go to USF?

okay, so thanks for all the help. Would it look bad to retake the DAT and it be obvious that you only studied chemistry and organic chem?

SpikeyMike83 said:
. Would it look bad to retake the DAT and it be obvious that you only studied chemistry and organic chem?

LOL, I think I know what you mean, do a crap shoot ge on all the other sections and get 20+ on those two. I really dont know how that would look, I guess it would show maybe you knew the stuff after all :laugh:. It would depend on how far your score drops on the other sections. I would a say 1 or maybe 2 point flux wont matter, and if that's all you were to go up on those 2 sections it would not be worth retaking it either.

Seriously though, other than BIO, you really dont have to study too much for RC, PAT, and QR since you just took the DAT.