Prestige doesn't matter - does it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the organator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From speaking to dentists, I've gotten the impression that nobody really cares which school you went to, except maybe other dentists. Is there any reason to pick one school over another because it is more prestigious, or do you think that you should just find a school that fits you well?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, you should always go where you feel the most comfortable. I think you will learn the most in a place you enjoy, wherever that is.

i agree with beach. i think that how comfortable you are at a school and how well you feel you fit in with it is the #1 most important factor in choosing a school, even above money, prestige, or even above how good you think their program is (although the above factors may play a part in how comfortable you are there.) to me it just wouldn't be worth it to spend the next 4 years at a place I didn't like. prestige will come from being a good dentist. you'll be able to pay back your loans without a problem no matter where you go (unless someone else like parents are paying for you, then it might be different.) and i think that how much you get out of a program is largely due to how much effort you put in. go to the school you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prestige in terms of going to a well known and respected top notch school certainly plays a part if you want to become a big time dentist in the research field. If you want to specialize, I think it plays a smaller role, but bottom line, I personally am not concerned with prestige. I feel any state school is capable of producing high achieving dentists. Just an opinion though ;)

dexadental said:
Prestige in terms of going to a well known and respected top notch school certainly plays a part if you want to become a big time dentist in the research field. If you want to specialize, I think it plays a smaller role, but bottom line, I personally am not concerned with prestige. I feel any state school is capable of producing high achieving dentists. Just an opinion though ;)

Prestige is a two-way street. In order for presitge to matter, someone has to care about it. If you care about prestige, go to a "prestigious dental school." If you don't, go wherever you feel comfortable.

edkNARF said:
Prestige is a two-way street. In order for presitge to matter, someone has to care about it. If you care about prestige, go to a "prestigious dental school." If you don't, go wherever you feel comfortable.

I agree. The only thing that prestige really matters to is your ego (feed me, Seymour!).

very true. i chose my specific school because there was a professor who is quiet renown for the specific area of research that i am interested in. but if you're not getting a PhD, then the prestige "advantage" is very minimal IMHO.

dexadental said:

Most of the dentists I have talked to, and I have spoken with some from a lot of different schools.... they agree that any dental school just teaches you enough not to kill anyone... the real learning takes place after you graduate.

And some will never get CE or really apply themselves and learn about the new technology..

There are dentists practicing now the EXACT same way they did in '73 when they graduated... now that is unfortunate.

Sprgrover said:
I agree. The only thing that prestige really matters to is your ego (feed me, Seymour!).
LOL.

Nicely said. Harvard doesn't really produce better general dentists than any other school, even they - will tell you that.

P.S. Seymour doesn't live with his mother, she lives with him. :D

TaliaTN said:
There are dentists practicing now the EXACT same way they did in '73 when they graduated... now that is unfortunate.

Scary.

i spoke to many dentists, and they told me, dentistry has remain pretty much the same for the past 50 years. except for new materials or new technology which makes the procedures faster or easier, everything is pretty much the same. a tooth is still cut the same way for a crown, fillings are still drilled the same way, root canal is still done the same way, a tooth is still extracted the same way. i'm working for a dentist who's been practicing dentistry for 30 years and the he said he keeps up to date by reading dental journals and attending seminars, but he said nothing major has changed since he started 30 years ago.

I think prestige does matter. It matters in the field of casual conversation and specialties. Ivy schools have a significantly higher enrollment of their students across specialties, esp. in rare ones like OMFS. Many of these porgrams are administered by hospitals, who want the "complete" healthcare proffesional. Ivy schools have a reputation for challening their students with much more general medicine in the pre-clinical years than more clinical and less renowned schools like Temple or some other non-ivy school.

Graduates from these schools may at best be slightly better initially in practicing on patients (due to thier alma-maters insistance on leeching as much cheap dentistry from their students as possible, and therefore working them more than in Ivy schools). But they will lack the knowledge that ivy kids have and as a result, positions in specialties.

Here "ivy schools" refer to any school that has "prestige" or academically inclined.

I'll also mention that board scores are slightly higher (in general) for prestigous schools than-non

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, here's my take on prestige. I generally agree with what people have said - it doesn't matter what school you went to, it matters how good of a dentist you are. After all, if you got in trouble with your local dental association, they're not gonna be like "Well, he went to an ivy league school so we'll let him off."

But......If you are a really amazing dentist and you did go to a big name school like Harvard, I think it can pull a lot of weight. It's like "Whoa, no wonder he's so freakin good, he went to harvard!!" And your name would be spread around by word of mouth. But again, I'm sure harvard puts out some bad dentists.

I go to what people might call a "prestigious school." And let me say, it really doesn't fuel my ego. But it does make me feel good because I know my parents are really, really proud of me. They can brag to their friends and family... it's just nice. And I like that because they're paying a lot of my tuition, and they deserve it.

paolorossifan said:
I think prestige does matter. It matters in the field of casual conversation and specialties. Ivy schools have a significantly higher enrollment of their students across specialties, esp. in rare ones like OMFS. Many of these porgrams are administered by hospitals, who want the "complete" healthcare proffesional. Ivy schools have a reputation for challening their students with much more general medicine in the pre-clinical years than more clinical and less renowned schools like Temple or some other non-ivy school.

Graduates from these schools may at best be slightly better initially in practicing on patients (due to thier alma-maters insistance on leeching as much cheap dentistry from their students as possible, and therefore working them more than in Ivy schools). But they will lack the knowledge that ivy kids have and as a result, positions in specialties.

Here "ivy schools" refer to any school that has "prestige" or academically inclined.

Gee, an undergrad, accepted to Columbia but who doesn't yet know a bloody thing about dentistry, pontificating on all the things that supposedly make his Ivy League school better than all those second-rate proletariat schools, and rationalizing away the areas where his (eventual) school lacks in comparison.

Self-serving bias? What self-serving bias?

Maybe you missed the memo, but you're going into dentistry, not internal medicine, and I'd start polishing your attitude toward all us expendable general dentists whose referrals you'll be depending on to stay out of bankruptcy court.

paolorossifan said:

Spoken like a true pre-dent with no clue of how real world dentistry operates.

It's amazing my hospital took a chance on letting me treat medically complex patients considering I went to a "lesser renowned school" that has crazy clinical requirements.

While I didn't mean to offend anyone, it obviously has. Just as one could say my position was biased, so can I about the above two post. Except they are on the other side, not well-known (but still producing viable dentists) schools.
Some bitterness?

aphistis said:
Gee, an undergrad, accepted to Columbia but who doesn't yet know a bloody thing about dentistry, pontificating on all the things that supposedly make his Ivy League school better than all those second-rate proletariat schools, and rationalizing away the areas where his (eventual) school lacks in comparison.

Self-serving bias? What self-serving bias?

Maybe you missed the memo, but you're going into dentistry, not internal medicine, and I'd start polishing your attitude toward all us expendable general dentists whose referrals you'll be depending on to stay out of bankruptcy court.

Actually I come from a long line of dentists so I think I know more than you did when you were in my shoes. And don't go testing me by asking some second year oral pathology question to make yourself feel high. I didn't mean to offend but you must feel that way only because you know I am right.

paolorossifan said:
While I didn't mean to offend anyone, it obviously has. Just as one could say my position was biased, so can I about the above two post. Except they are on the other side, not well-known (but still producing viable dentists) schools.
Some bitterness?

Nope. That's not gonna help buddy! :laugh: :laugh:

You know, I wouldn't actually consider Columbia a prestigious school. I think a lot of people would agree with me on that one.

paolorossifan, you're digging yourself into a deep hole. quit now.

paolorossifan even though you come from a family that has had 100 dentists in them i feel that you are out of line. aphistis has some expierence in the dental world that can't be replaced by any amount of research. once you hit the books at columbia and you find it more presitagious and you feel like the **** then come start talking.

btw: last i heard is that those less renowned schools still had residencies, but how could they if they aren't "complete"?

paolorossifan said:
Some bitterness?

There is nothing for me to feel bitter about. I already have my DDS - the same degree Columbia will give you when you complete their curriculum and requirements. The feeling of knowing I don't have to take exams anymore, cram, worry about board scores and class rank, do lab work, pray my patients show up, etc. is wonderful.

Good luck to you in the 4 years ahead of you, but I would never go back and repeat the hell that is dental school over again, regardless of what the name of the school is.

griffin04 said:
There is nothing for me to feel bitter about. I already have my DDS - the same degree Columbia will give you when you complete their curriculum and requirements. The feeling of knowing I don't have to take exams anymore, cram, worry about board scores and class rank, do lab work, pray my patients show up, etc. is wonderful.

Good luck to you in the 4 years ahead of you, but I would never go back and repeat the hell that is dental school over again, regardless of what the name of the school is.

lol griffin04 you making sound soooo bad... can't you at least make it sound a little enjoyable?

delicious said:
You know, I wouldn't actually consider Columbia a prestigious school. I think a lot of people would agree with me on that one.

paolorossifan, you're digging yourself into a deep hole. quit now.

Delicious I recommend you make public what school your going to before you attmept to insult others. Columbia is a great school even without considering Ivy.

rocknightmare said:
lol griffin04 you making sound soooo bad... can't you at least make it sound a little enjoyable?

Sure. I love the friends I made in dental school. Having them to get through it made it much better. And we had a blast hanging out in 3rd and 4th years when our curriculum allows for more free time.

I was also involved in ASDA and research and I met lots of fun dental students at other schools that way and got to visit some cool places for conventions.

Dental school will be as bad or good as you make it. If I wasn't so high strung about my grades while I was there, I would've probably had more time to sit around and watch plants grow and cook gourmet meals. Instead I do that stuff now.

paolorossifan said:

Obviously a troll or ******....either/or.....I wonder if the smart people at Columbia realize that if they are one of the minorities of their graduating class that actually specializes right out of dental school that there specialty residency has a great chance to be affiliated with a "lesser" known dental school???

I love it when Ivy Leaguers come on here and shoot their mouth off....I guess it would work for law or med students, but in dentistry, prestige doesnt matter....but its still a hoot to see these Ivy League dental students trying so hard to justify their choice and put themselves at the same calibre as their med/law counterparts....I guess you gotta give them credit for trying :thumbup:

edkNARF said:
I do not want to burst your bubble, but the actual "Ivy League" is an atheltic conference. You can read about its history here: http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/whatisivy/index.asp. I think your statements show how ignorant you are regarding the Ivy League.

I anticpated some idiot would bring this up. Make you feel smart? Good. Columbia is still an Ivy league school, as it is in this league.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Obviously a troll or ******....either/or.....I wonder if the smart people at Columbia realize that if they are one of the minorities of their graduating class that actually specializes right out of dental school that there specialty residency has a great chance to be affiliated with a "lesser" known dental school???

I love it when Ivy Leaguers come on here and shoot their mouth off....I guess it would work for law or med students, but in dentistry, prestige doesnt matter....but its still a hoot to see these Ivy League dental students trying so hard to justify their choice and put themselves at the same calibre as their med/law counterparts....I guess you gotta give them credit for trying :thumbup:

Keep telling yuorself that. Why so much jelousy??? Just try harder and you might be able to transfer.

paolorossifan said:
Keep telling yuorself that. Why so much jelousy??? Just try harder and you might be able to transfer.

Keep telling myself the truth? Ok

Although the chances are extremely slim, lets just say by some miracle you get into one OMFS program, but its at the University of Kentucky! Heavens forbid, what will your family of dentists say about that!!! :eek:

And what would I be jealous about? your higher cost of education?

paolorossifan said:

School is what you make of it. As long as you work hard enough,you can achieve/become whatever you want. Paolorossifan,youre out of line. It's apparent that you think your "Ivy status" makes you>other people on this board,and that means you are just setting yourself up to be shot down.

Take the attitude elsewhere. :thumbdown:

Dr.BadVibes said:
Keep telling myself the truth? Ok

Although the chances are extremely slim, lets just say by some miracle you get into one OMFS program, but its at the University of Kentucky! Heavens forbid, what will your family of dentists say about that!!! :eek:

And what would I be jealous about? your higher cost of education?

First, I never said I wanted to do OMFS, only used it as an example. Second, I would be honored to be at the UK to do an OMFS residency. No school sucks. I never said this. However, I do argue the benefits of going to a academically inclined institution that stresses dentistry as a specialty of medicine.

If you don;t care about that, fine. Go to Temple or wherever you feel at home. But let the facts and opinions be heard without getting all hot and bothered.

plazaday said:
School is what you make of it. As long as you work hard enough,you can achieve/become whatever you want. Paolorossifan,youre out of line. It's apparent that you think your "Ivy status" makes you>other people on this board,and that means you are just setting yourself up to be shot down.

Take the attitude elsewhere. :thumbdown:

I never alleged that it made me higher, I only argued the merits of going to an academically inclined dental school. Don't argue against what you would have wanted me to say.

It is true that school is what you make of it.

paolorossifan said:
I never alleged that it made me higher, I only argued the merits of going to an academically inclined dental school. Don't argue against what you would have wanted me to say.

It is true that school is what you make of it.

What if you dont specialize and decide to be a GP or dont get accepted to a specialty right away?....where are the benefits?

This is hillarious. Best of luck in New York.

Zurik5 said:
This is hillarious. Best of luck in New York.

Thanks. This turned into something else.

OK guys, don't make this into a hate fest. I think that in future, people shouldn't discuss schools in terms of prestige: maybe discussing them in terms of how competetive they are to get into might be better.

In general though paolorossifan, you're not in dental school yet and its hard to make generalizations from that vantage point. :) Totally not trying to be mean. I thought a lot like you did before I got to dental school, and then realized that things are different. You're a bright kid no doubt, columbia's a tough school to get into. I just think that a pre-dent or 1st year dental student has nothing on a 4th year student or graduate. :luck: :)

Ok, now time to party!!!!!!!!

Dr.BadVibes said:
What if you dont specialize and decide to be a GP or dont get accepted to a specialty right away?....where are the benefits?
I have a question for you UPenn is an Ivy school. Temple is so close to UPenn. Do you think UPenn is a better school than Temple ? I mean it is another Ivy school after all.

By the way the life in NYC can never be compared Philly (it is so dirty there)

Dr.BadVibes said:

Then it doesn't matter does it? If one wanted to be a GP then its in thier best intrest to attend UOP and do it 3 years. Having failed that I suppose all schools are equal to a future GP and it comes down to price.

But for those pre-dents aiming to specialize or looking for more of a medically based education, will find the more "prestigous" schools appropriate.

Thats not to say Temple will not produce any Orthodontists (which they have good program of), but that more students of Harvard, PENN or UNC etc, in the past (hence the repuation) have gone on to specialize relative to students from other schools.

zidanereal2003 said:
I have a question for you UPenn is an Ivy school. Temple is so close to UPenn. Do you think UPenn is a better school than Temple ? I mean it is another Ivy school after all.

By the way the life in NYC can never be compared Philly (it is so dirty there)

True, i enjoyed my trip to Philadelphia.

delicious said:
OK guys, don't make this into a hate fest. I think that in future, people shouldn't discuss schools in terms of prestige: maybe discussing them in terms of how competetive they are to get into might be better.

In general though paolorossifan, you're not in dental school yet and its hard to make generalizations from that vantage point. :) Totally not trying to be mean. I thought a lot like you did before I got to dental school, and then realized that things are different. You're a bright kid no doubt, columbia's a tough school to get into. I just think that a pre-dent or 1st year dental student has nothing on a 4th year student or graduate. :luck: :)

Ok, now time to party!!!!!!!!

Completely true. I'll take a step back.

As a D2 at one of those "prestigious" schools, it's safe to say that the name doesn't matter if you end up offending everyone you come across. Dental school get be a real lonely and difficult place. Specialty or not, alumni from those lesser schools are gonna be your colleagues, partners, or, god-forbid, your boss.

In defense of state schools (not-so-prestigious...whatever), they're subsidized by taxpayers. It's in the state's best interest to provide competent general dentists to serve the population. What's the point of paying taxes so the dental school can put out tons of oral surgeons and orthos for which there isn't much demand? It's not that the profs at that school are incapable of producing high board scores.

As far as residencies go....there's a ton of residents here from those "other" schools....even our arch-nemesis Temple. And with the recent Ortho match, several of my friends are going to schools to which most SDNers probably didn't even bother applying. They're just happy to be accepted into a program.

NC2PA said:
As a D2 at one of those "prestigious" schools, it's safe to say that the name doesn't matter if you end up offending everyone you come across. Dental school get be a real lonely and difficult place. Specialty or not, alumni from those lesser schools are gonna be your colleagues, partners, or, god-forbid, your boss.

In defense of state schools (not-so-prestigious...whatever), they're subsidized by taxpayers. It's in the state's best interest to provide competent general dentists to serve the population. What's the point of paying taxes so the dental school can put out tons of oral surgeons and orthos for which there isn't much demand? It's not that the profs at that school are incapable of producing high board scores.

As far as residencies go....there's a ton of residents here from those "other" schools....even our arch-nemesis Temple. And with the recent Ortho match, several of my friends are going to schools to which most SDNers probably didn't even bother applying. They're just happy to be accepted into a program.

True, but you've missed my point.

NC2PA said:

Nicely put, it seems as though this thread has caused quiet a commotion. Which ever school you go to, in the end you are a competent dentist, no matter if you recieved the highest marks or just barely passed. I believe the goal of dental school is just that. Some people will prefer columbia, some nova, state school...what ever floats your boat. Just be happy with what school you are entering and try not to flaunt it too much.

paolorossifan said:
I anticpated some idiot would bring this up. Make you feel smart? Good. Columbia is still an Ivy league school, as it is in this league.

Listen, you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you already have a diploma from an ivy league school? Probably Not. Guess what? I do, so I think I have some authority to tell you how much of an idiot you sound like. I have seen many people like you think that having "IVY" stamped on your A$$ is going to do something for you. It won't! I got rejected from dental schools, even with my "superior ivy undergrad credentials." You should never rest on someone else's laurels. No matter where you go, you are going to have to work hard. I know a few Columbia SDOS students who thought that graduating from an ivy dental school would guarantee them a spot in an ortho residency. You know where they are now, doing GPRs/AEGDs. They (like you will) learned the hard way that a fancy school will not guarantee success.

edkNARF said:
Listen, you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you already have a diploma from an ivy league school? Probably Not. Guess what? I do, so I think I have some authority to tell you how much of an idiot you sound like. I have seen many people like you think that having "IVY" stamped on your A$$ is going to do something for you. It won't! I got rejected from dental schools, even with my "superior ivy undergrad credentials." You should never rest on someone else's laurels. No matter where you go, you are going to have to work hard. I know a few Columbia SDOS students who thought that graduating from an ivy dental school would guarantee them a spot in an ortho residency. You know where they are now, doing GPRs/AEGDs. They (like you will) learned the hard way that a fancy school will not guarantee success.

!. Where did I say Ivy guarantees success?
2. Not all ivy graduates will get into dental school
3. Not all non-ivy kids will get into a dental school
4. Not all ivy dds grad will want to or get into a specialty
5. Ivy and similar schools have a higher percentage of thier students in specialties relative to most other dental schools
6. Pre-dents who believe they will want to specialze will find in their best interest to attend one of these schools given their track record.
7. Pre-dents who believe they will want to specialze can do so at other schools.
8. Read before you get mad
9. Do not let bitter sentiments about past application cycles cloud you judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.