• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
2,192
1
114
Status (Visible)
Decided to start this thread because it seems some folks have this decision to make for the coming school year.

If this were my choice to make, there's no doubt I'd go for the "name" and get the PhD later. What I don't understand is why there aren't more people willing to just admit they're going for the name(with the great education to boot). I don't think it necessarily think it means a person is not "committed" to the combined program, only that people's priorities change and they have the RIGHT to change their minds.

As a matter of fact, my fiance' and I are looking to purchase a home in Virginia soon, but if I get into Harvard, Stanford or any other big name school on my list, trust me we're going to pack up, and haul our tails outta here!! :D
 

Sixdegrees

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2004
27
0
NYC
Status (Visible)
I'm willing to admit it. I'm seriously considering dropping an acceptance to an MSTP for a great MD program. When I see lots of students matching in my field of interest at school A (which also has a strong dept) and few MSTPs doing so at school B (weak dept), it makes me reconsider.
 

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
2,192
1
114
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Sixdegrees
I'm willing to admit it. I'm seriously considering dropping an acceptance to an MSTP for a great MD program. When I see lots of students matching in my field of interest at school A (which also has a strong dept) and few MSTPs doing so at school B (weak dept), it makes me reconsider.

Thanks for being honest!

Over the past year or so I've had different opinions about various schools, rankings, and the process of applying to med school. However, spending a semester (working on a PhD) at a an unranked program taught me a few things. I've decided NOT to sell myself short when it comes to my education.

I work primarily around Residents and that "where you went to medical school" thing is a never ending topic of conversation.
 
About the Ads

rayraad

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2004
22
0
39
New York
Status (Visible)
I'll admitt it ... it counts for me too...

A good name means (at least) the following:

1) lots of money to help you do whatever activitiy you want to do
2) Great students who will help motivate you and could become life long friends
3) better research opportunities
4) more connections that could be useful later on in life
 

noy

Senioritis Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2003
177
1
East Coast
Status (Visible)
What is considered 'prestige' in the MD world? Harvard, Hopkins... Yale? WashU? Columbia?

I'm not even sure what schools would make this list, there is so much variability.
 

coldchemist

Biowulf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2003
543
0
44
UAB
hrem.nci.nih.gov
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
I'm actually feeling the opposite. I want the MD/PhD--the money and the integration are simply far too important to me. Besides, there are some programs that aren't as prestigious (ie, Penn State's MSTP), but I actually liked them more than the higher ranked programs I visited. In the end, I feel that a combined degree from a lower ranked MD/PhD program will provide me with more opportunities than a research intensive MD program at a more prestigious school.
 

neurotiger

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2003
66
0
38
Chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I agree with coldchemist. I think it depends how badly you want the dual degree for your future plans. I think the school's reputation matters, but only to a certain extent. If you were choosing between an off-shore MD/PhD or an MD at a top-ten med school, sure...

I turned down MD interviews after getting an acceptance in October, even to programs which were higher ranked. Finances are one reason; a strong belief in having both the MD and PhD backgrounds for what I want to do is the other. If you want to do clinical research, I'd question the need for the PhD in the first place.
 

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
2,192
1
114
Status (Visible)
I should have titled this thread "Prestige Resaerch MD vs MD/PhD".
 

prasads

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2003
13
0
39
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by pathdr2b
Thanks for being honest!

Over the past year or so I've had different opinions about various schools, rankings, and the process of applying to med school. However, spending a semester (working on a PhD) at a an unranked program taught me a few things. I've decided NOT to sell myself short when it comes to my education.

I work primarily around Residents and that "where you went to medical school" thing is a never ending topic of conversation.


Impressing residents with your brand names shouldn't be why you choose one school over another!! But i do think that being at a school with stronger faculty/ more motivated students/ and better resources could allow you to have a more fulfilling research experience than an MSTP elsewhere. i know profs that are just MDs, that infact chose just MD over an MSTP elsewhere, and as a result have had the opportunity to work with some crazy engaging people! Calculated risk,.... it comes down to calculating that risk.

goodluck!!:cool:
 

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
2,192
1
114
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by prasads
Impressing residents with your brand names shouldn't be why you choose one school over another!! But i do think that being at a school with stronger faculty/ more motivated students/ and better resources could allow you to have a more fulfilling research experience than an MSTP elsewhere. i know profs that are just MDs, that infact chose just MD over an MSTP elsewhere, and as a result have had the opportunity to work with some crazy engaging people! Calculated risk,.... it comes down to calculating that risk.

goodluck!!:cool:

Who said ANYTHING about choosing a "brand name" for these reasons? This is the REALITY of the situation I currently find myself in and I just gave you a snap shot of conversations I've heard. Nothing more, nothing less so please stop trying to "read things into" my posts.:rolleyes:
Besides you may need to take your own advice since you seem prepared to give up an MSTP spot for a name brand.;)
 

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
14,109
5,429
the beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Something to think about.

The director of my MSTP displays his big Harvard undergrad diploma prominantly on the wall in his office. His MD or PhD from Case Western is nowhere to be seen. When asked, he just says that he doesn't like to show them.

Strange eh?
 

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
2,192
1
114
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Neuronix
Something to think about.

The director of my MSTP displays his big Harvard undergrad diploma prominantly on the wall in his office. His MD or PhD from Case Western is nowhere to be seen. When asked, he just says that he doesn't like to show them.

Strange eh?

EVERYONE I know with a Harvard degree likes to show it off:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.