"Prestige" MD vs. Solid MD/PhD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided to start this thread because it seems some folks have this decision to make for the coming school year.

If this were my choice to make, there's no doubt I'd go for the "name" and get the PhD later. What I don't understand is why there aren't more people willing to just admit they're going for the name(with the great education to boot). I don't think it necessarily think it means a person is not "committed" to the combined program, only that people's priorities change and they have the RIGHT to change their minds.

As a matter of fact, my fiance' and I are looking to purchase a home in Virginia soon, but if I get into Harvard, Stanford or any other big name school on my list, trust me we're going to pack up, and haul our tails outta here!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm willing to admit it. I'm seriously considering dropping an acceptance to an MSTP for a great MD program. When I see lots of students matching in my field of interest at school A (which also has a strong dept) and few MSTPs doing so at school B (weak dept), it makes me reconsider.

Originally posted by Sixdegrees
I'm willing to admit it. I'm seriously considering dropping an acceptance to an MSTP for a great MD program. When I see lots of students matching in my field of interest at school A (which also has a strong dept) and few MSTPs doing so at school B (weak dept), it makes me reconsider.

Thanks for being honest!

Over the past year or so I've had different opinions about various schools, rankings, and the process of applying to med school. However, spending a semester (working on a PhD) at a an unranked program taught me a few things. I've decided NOT to sell myself short when it comes to my education.

I work primarily around Residents and that "where you went to medical school" thing is a never ending topic of conversation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll admitt it ... it counts for me too...

A good name means (at least) the following:

1) lots of money to help you do whatever activitiy you want to do
2) Great students who will help motivate you and could become life long friends
3) better research opportunities
4) more connections that could be useful later on in life

What is considered 'prestige' in the MD world? Harvard, Hopkins... Yale? WashU? Columbia?

I'm not even sure what schools would make this list, there is so much variability.

I'm actually feeling the opposite. I want the MD/PhD--the money and the integration are simply far too important to me. Besides, there are some programs that aren't as prestigious (ie, Penn State's MSTP), but I actually liked them more than the higher ranked programs I visited. In the end, I feel that a combined degree from a lower ranked MD/PhD program will provide me with more opportunities than a research intensive MD program at a more prestigious school.

I agree with coldchemist. I think it depends how badly you want the dual degree for your future plans. I think the school's reputation matters, but only to a certain extent. If you were choosing between an off-shore MD/PhD or an MD at a top-ten med school, sure...

I turned down MD interviews after getting an acceptance in October, even to programs which were higher ranked. Finances are one reason; a strong belief in having both the MD and PhD backgrounds for what I want to do is the other. If you want to do clinical research, I'd question the need for the PhD in the first place.

I should have titled this thread "Prestige Resaerch MD vs MD/PhD".

Originally posted by pathdr2b
Thanks for being honest!

Over the past year or so I've had different opinions about various schools, rankings, and the process of applying to med school. However, spending a semester (working on a PhD) at a an unranked program taught me a few things. I've decided NOT to sell myself short when it comes to my education.

I work primarily around Residents and that "where you went to medical school" thing is a never ending topic of conversation.

Impressing residents with your brand names shouldn't be why you choose one school over another!! But i do think that being at a school with stronger faculty/ more motivated students/ and better resources could allow you to have a more fulfilling research experience than an MSTP elsewhere. i know profs that are just MDs, that infact chose just MD over an MSTP elsewhere, and as a result have had the opportunity to work with some crazy engaging people! Calculated risk,.... it comes down to calculating that risk.

goodluck!!:cool:

Originally posted by prasads
Impressing residents with your brand names shouldn't be why you choose one school over another!! But i do think that being at a school with stronger faculty/ more motivated students/ and better resources could allow you to have a more fulfilling research experience than an MSTP elsewhere. i know profs that are just MDs, that infact chose just MD over an MSTP elsewhere, and as a result have had the opportunity to work with some crazy engaging people! Calculated risk,.... it comes down to calculating that risk.

goodluck!!:cool:

Who said ANYTHING about choosing a "brand name" for these reasons? This is the REALITY of the situation I currently find myself in and I just gave you a snap shot of conversations I've heard. Nothing more, nothing less so please stop trying to "read things into" my posts.:rolleyes:
Besides you may need to take your own advice since you seem prepared to give up an MSTP spot for a name brand.;)

Something to think about.

The director of my MSTP displays his big Harvard undergrad diploma prominantly on the wall in his office. His MD or PhD from Case Western is nowhere to be seen. When asked, he just says that he doesn't like to show them.

Strange eh?

Originally posted by Neuronix
Something to think about.

The director of my MSTP displays his big Harvard undergrad diploma prominantly on the wall in his office. His MD or PhD from Case Western is nowhere to be seen. When asked, he just says that he doesn't like to show them.

Strange eh?

EVERYONE I know with a Harvard degree likes to show it off:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: