prestige of DPT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leanbeansupreme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
__

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

So I was fortunate to get admitted to 2 out of the 3 PT programs I applied to this past cycle--particularly fortunate since my undergraduate GPA tanked for a few semesters--but I was able to bring it up my past 60 credit hours. Currently I am between the University of Utah (my top choice coming into the cycle) and Governors State University. I was pulled of the alternate list today for The U--and this has made the entire selection of a graduate program exponentially more daunting. I thought that this would be a dream come true, but now faced with the prospect of moving across the country/organizing a life in a new city/leaving friends and family behind is a tough pill to swallow. I guess the main factor that is still making me question my choice is that the U seems to have a lot more opportunities in neurological PT/pediatric PT than Governors State--not to mention that it seems a bit more prestigious than Governors State. The difference in tuition/cost of living would be ~$20-30K, which is significant but not tremendously so. I guess my questions are:
1. Does prestige of a graduate program really matter when coming down to getting a job? (for example, I envision myself working at a rehabilitation hospital and I want to be sure that my resume stands out amongst other applicants)
2. Should cost be the only factor to consider when choosing a program?
3. For those of you also moving across the country, what have you done to mentally prepare yourself to make this choice?
4. Am I being ridiculously silly by even asking these questions?/Should I stick to the program that I am already enrolled in and will be starting in May (Governors State)?

1 - From everything I've heard, no.
2 - Not the ONLY factor, but a very major factor.

Reactions: 1 users
As a current student at the University of Utah I would say come to Utah... I love it here. Of course I am paying instate tuition so it was also was my cheapest option. In my opinion 20-30K is a pretty big difference if you are paying for it with loans.

1 - prestige doesn't matter much at this point but I know there are exceptions to this.
2 - Cost for me, was the major deciding factor. Unless one of the program had a major deal breaker that would close doors on you in the future, I would probably attend the more affordable institution.
3 - I moved back to my home state (I was living in Seattle for a bit when I was officially excepted) so it wasn't that big of a deal. That being said I have moved to a foreign country for two consecutive years and had a couple of stints in Alaska, so I have experience with leaving family for the unknown. There was always an adjustment period but once I settled in I never regretted it. You won't be alone either, your class will be like family. There is always someone to join on thanksgiving and Christmas if you aren't able to go back home. If you are worried about making friends in class I wouldn't worry about it. The way the curriculum is designed it is unavoidable.
4 - These aren't silly questions at all. I originally had put a deposit down for a much less well known school that was more expensive. At the time it was a difficult decision but looking back on it I can't believe I seriously considered going to the other program over the U.

The University of Utah does offer a neuro residency so if you want to attend Governors State but still would like to come and see what Utah has to offer you can always try for the residency after you graduate. I recently had a CI who did just that. You are correct that Utah does have a lot to offer in regards to pediatrics and neuro experience. All of which can be found right on campus or at several other top notch outpatient facilities and hospitals.

Also, cost of living in Utah is relatively cheap if you have roommates. That can offset the pricier out of state tuition some.

Utah is an amazing place and Salt Lake City has so much to offer. Hiking, camping, national parks in the summer, and skiing, film festivals, athletics in the winter. You are a 10 minutes walk from campus to the nearest trails and can be at a ski resort in less than 30 minutes. Park City is also only a quick 30 minute drive as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

So I was fortunate to get admitted to 2 out of the 3 PT programs I applied to this past cycle--particularly fortunate since my undergraduate GPA tanked for a few semesters--but I was able to bring it up my past 60 credit hours. Currently I am between the University of Utah (my top choice coming into the cycle) and Governors State University. I was pulled of the alternate list today for The U--and this has made the entire selection of a graduate program exponentially more daunting. I thought that this would be a dream come true, but now faced with the prospect of moving across the country/organizing a life in a new city/leaving friends and family behind is a tough pill to swallow. I guess the main factor that is still making me question my choice is that the U seems to have a lot more opportunities in neurological PT/pediatric PT than Governors State--not to mention that it seems a bit more prestigious than Governors State. The difference in tuition/cost of living would be ~$20-30K, which is significant but not tremendously so. I guess my questions are:
1. Does prestige of a graduate program really matter when coming down to getting a job? (for example, I envision myself working at a rehabilitation hospital and I want to be sure that my resume stands out amongst other applicants)
3. For those of you also moving across the country, what have you done to mentally prepare yourself to make this choice?
4. Am I being ridiculously silly by even asking these questions?/Should I stick to the program that I am already enrolled in and will be starting in May (Governors State)?

3. nothing.. yet. But, i def relate to you. I learned today that I'll be moving to west, middle of nowhere, texas from my convenient suburban town north of Atlanta, GA... within a month!
I have butterflies in my stomach bc im terrified of moving but im more excited. I don't know a single soul out there but I know I'm making the right call (one reason being their outrageously low tuition - even lower than the cheapest school in my home state of Georgia) so I'm just taking a leap of faith and going with the flow. Just wanted you to know you're not alone feeling that way. Let me know if you ever find any therex to prepare the mind for that type of change. either way, good luck.

Last edited:
These aren't silly questions, first of all.
1. No, prestige of the program doesn't really matter in the end. All DPT programs are accredited by the same body, so you will get basically the same education no matter where you go. Different schools offer different opportunities, so it's up to you to decide what matters to you.
2. Cost shouldn't be the only factor to consider but it should be a major factor for sure. $20-30K more in loans is a substantial difference. There is a high interest rate on loans and you want to make sure you get the most for your money. Unless you have money coming from other avenues, your loans will have to cover all your expenses while you're in school and that is going to add up. The school I chose is at least $10-15K cheaper than other state schools and that was definitely an important factor in my decision.
3. I'm not moving across the country myself, just 6 hours from home. My best advice is just to remember that PT school is an investment in yourself and your future and it's worth whatever sacrifices you have to make. You can visit home on breaks and you can always move back home after graduation. It's only three years! :)

1. From everything that I've heard, not currently, no. Though the market could change somewhat in 3 years. I'd say the more important question is where do you want to get a job after graduation? Being in the same area/having clinical rotations in an area you might want to work may make transitioning after school easier. But it's certainly not necessary.
2. Depends on your financial situation. But for most people, cost should probably be one of your top factors. You will likely have other things you want to consider, though, like whether you really want to move across the country and leave friends/family behind.
3. I haven't done this for graduate school, but I moved across the country for undergrad, and then again when I graduated, and I can say that while scary, moving can open up a lot of cool opportunities that you won't have otherwise. I definitely have not regretted moving. I've heard great things about U of U DPT and Salt Lake City from two friends who have either just graduated or are just about to graduate, and I can say that you'd likely have an amazing experience there, and in Salt Lake, especially if you enjoy outdoors activities (as topher mentions)...

Good luck figuring out what to do!

You should care about the quality of education you will receive, not the prestige of the department.

But all other things truly being equal, going to a more "prestigious" program certainly couldn't hurt. It matters a little bit more if you plan to work in the area where your went to school and there are multiple schools in the area. Going to the program with the best reputation in the area where you want to work is more helpful than going to a nationally well known program IMO

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

You should care about the quality of education you will receive, not the prestige of the department.

Whenever I read prestige questions, I ask myself, "If I attended [insert school], and go 2+ weeks without dozing in class, what types of achievements will I unlock, or how will my prestige badge look when I drop into a FFA interview, or maybe get a golden plated goni???"

Hmmm...many wonders. much wow.

Reactions: 5 users
Whenever I read prestige questions, I ask myself, "If I attended [insert school], and go 2+ weeks without dozing in class, what types of achievements will I unlock, or how will my prestige badge look when I drop into a FFA interview, or maybe get a golden plated goni???"

Hmmm...many wonders. much wow.
Said like somebody who is finally more than 3 years removed from being a pre-PT

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Hi everyone,

1. You'll be a DPT after you graduate no matter where you graduate from.
2. It shouldn't be the only thing. I took into consideration the style and feel of the schools, the area, etc.
3. I'm moving from Kansas City to Boston in two weeks. I did some travel work before, but not for this extended time. I've researched Boston to become a bit more familiar, I'm also lucky in that my best friend is there finishing up med school. But knowing a bit more about the city or town, and realizing it's only 3 years, and you won't be in it alone. You'll have your cohort.
4. Not silly, but that choice is only yours.