Pretentious Opiate vs. Opioid Public service announcement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
· Opiate: Alkaloid compounds found naturally in the Papaver somniferum (opium poppy) plant. These include codeine, morphine, and thebaine (paramorphine).

· Opioid: Compounds with opium-like effects. It is a broader term which encompasses opiates (see above), semi-synthetic derivatives of morphine (heroin, hydromorphone, hydrocodone, oxycodone, oxymorphone), and synthetic opioids (fentanyl, buprenorphine, methadone).

Someone who is addicted to heroin or Norco has an OPIoid addiction (not an opiate addiction). The DSM-V has Opioid Use Disorder (not Opiate Use Disorder).

Plz bby use the correct terminology. Vicodin® and Norco® (hydrocodone/APAP), OxyContin® (oxycodone), and heroin are OPIOIDS (not opiates). Physicians (and now thanks to stupid politicians who extended their prescriptive authority, mid-level providers) prescribe too many opioids. As such, there is an opioid epidemic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I'll add in that OxyContin is specifically the brand name for the extended release formulation of oxycodone. Analogous to MSContin as the ER form of morphine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
congrats, you can think you'er better than people when you truley did not accomplish anything of significance with this post

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Spoken like a true chart-buffer. Kudos to you.

Thank you, my life has meaning now.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure you're not this dude?

Reactions: 1 users
to be fair he did list pretentious in the thread title

way to go

and I'm just enough a nerd to be like, cool bro. Thanks for the info.