Preventive Medicine + Genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gallons

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a long time lurker I know pre-meds not welcomed here so much. This will be my only thread here.

I love genetics and cannot imagine not going into something where it will be large focus. I am not in love with children or the idea of treating them in a clinical setting on a regular basis.

I want to travel a lot and care for populations and do research and maybe see patients once a week or so.

1 year prelim + 2 year categorical genetics + 2 years categorical preventive medicine?

Please tell me why this is a bad idea and what are some better ways to go about it? And yes, I know the pay is likely peanuts, I do not care.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a long time lurker I know pre-meds not welcomed here so much. This will be my only post here.

I love genetics and cannot imagine not going into something where it will be large focus. I am not in love with children or the idea of treating them in a clinical setting.

I want to travel a lot and care for populations and do research and maybe see patients once a week.

1 year prelim + 2 year categorical genetics + 2 years categorical preventive medicine?

Please tell me why this is a bad idea and what are some better ways to go about it? And yes, I know the pay is likely peanuts, I do not care.

It's not a bad idea at all. Your opportunities will be mainly working in academics or public health but one shouldn't view that as a downside if so inclined. It's a quite reasonable goal! Go for it!

Thanks. I should add I don't mind working with children, just would not want it to be bulk of what i do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternatively, just skip medical school and do a PhD in genetics. Doing 4 years of medical school and 5 years of residency to see patients once a week and do research the rest of the time seems like a huge waste of time and money.

I'll keep that in mind.

Consider medical oncology! Tons of genetics, you can work 90/10 research/clinic or the opposite or anything in between, epidemiology is very important, and there is even a growing push for global cancer care to be taken more seriously.

Alternatively, just skip medical school and do a PhD in genetics. Doing 4 years of medical school and 5 years of residency to see patients once a week and do research the rest of the time seems like a huge waste of time and money.
According to AAMC, medical genetics is just a 2-year residency...

According to AAMC, medical genetics is just a 2-year residency...

That's true but you can"t go directly into medical genetics residency following Med school. The two options are a combined residency or after completing a different residency

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I've actually found 1 current practicing doctor on the internet who did exactly what I posted about. So I know it can be done, but obviously it is a rare track. I will likely contact him as i think this is too unique a pathway for much help here or elsewhere.

I've actually found 1 current practicing doctor on the internet who did exactly what I posted about. So I know it can be done, but obviously it is a rare track. I will likely contact him as i think this is too unique a pathway for much help here or elsewhere.

I am 99% sure you need to do another residency as someone else said (IM, peds, OBGYN, etc.) as someone else said before you can do the 2-year clinical genetics residency (or you can do the combine 4 or 5 year programs). However, you may be able to get into the 1 or 2-year molecular genetic pathology fellowships after a 3-year residency in either AP or CP.

Why would you do a preventive medicine residency? That will have basically no crossover with genetics.

Why would you do a preventive medicine residency? That will have basically no crossover with genetics.

No, I was wrong and apparently this really is a thing. I guess the public health tie-in is due to things like newborn screening.

Last edited:
No, I was wrong and apparently this really is a thing. I guess the public health tie-in is due to things like newborn screening. Here's another physician like the one they mentioned taking this path.

Douglas J. Ball, MD - Pediatric Genetics , , Pediatrics | University of Utah Health
Still though if you look at the curriculum of preventive med residencies, the vast majority of your 2 years will be totally irrelevant. Why not use those precious years for a genetics fellowship or hella cme courses more tailored to your interests

Reactions: 1 user