Preventive Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcham

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the better Preventive Med residencies are for someone interested in ID/EPI? I know most programs only require a PGY-1 year prior to starting, but many prefer completion of a clinical residency such as internal medicine-which programs give no preference, and which really only want applicants with a prior residency such as internal med rather than just a PGY-1? What are competitive scores/experiences that applicants have?

Members don't see this ad.

Interested in this too, even though I'm not going into a primary care/IM field

yeah, i would like to know it too.. anyone knows?

I'm also interested in Preventive Medicine. I would like to switch from another specialty. Is there anyone who is in the field who could give me some information regarding competitiveness, ease of getting an interview, etc. Thanks.

The Preventive Med program at Johns Hopkins is fantastic! I did an away rotation there in Prev Med and LOVED it. I do not know what other programs are like but the Hopkins PM residents get a lot of leadership and skillset training, gain acceptance into great fellowships, have wonderful intelligent people to work with in every kind of discipline and they truly prepare you for whatever your career goals are. It is a 3 yr residency with the first year being any required clinical yr, anywhere...then you complete your last 2 yrs at Hopkins. Feel free to PM with any questions. My advice is to write to the programs youre interested in or go visit them. Best wishes

Several preventive medicine residency programs have shut down, so make sure to contact them by phone first to ensure that they are still active programs.